Charleston in Charleston County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
37 Hasell Street
— 1841 —
Mrs. Jones held significant property in her own right and was the widow of Thomas Jones, a Charleston merchant who owned and planted Paradise Island in the Wando River. Mrs. Jones received a loan from the State Bank of South Carolina to build a house on this site, pursuant to the Act for Rebuilding the City of Charleston, the state legislation that ensured the quick rebuilding of Ansonborough in the wake of the fire.
A rare, surviving building contract between Mrs. Jones and builders Robert Fletcher and T.V. Sessions, executed in June of 1841, specifies nearly all the materials and details of construction for the new dwelling. The three story Greek Revival brick house was specified with an unusual, two story rear addition affording a back room or "tea room and pantry". These features are usually associated with post-Civil War additions
The Property was conveyed to a trust and thence to Jones' daughter, Adeline who married Sidney S. Howell, a merchant and native of the Caribbean island of St. Martin. Their descendants occupied the property for over a century thereafter, maintaining an enormous collection of family papers that were donated to the South Carolina Historical Society. The Howells were one of only two original Ansonborough families to build and continuously occupy their house until the beginning of the Historic Ansonborough Rehabilitation Project in 1959.
The Preservation Society of Charleston
Erected 2012 by Preservation Society of Charleston.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Notable Buildings • Women.
Location. 32° 47.005′ N, 79° 55.752′ W. Marker is in Charleston, South Carolina, in Charleston County. Marker is on Hasell Street east of Anson Street, on the right when traveling east. Marker is mounted at eye-level on the wrought iron fence directly in front of the subject house. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 37 Hasell Street, Charleston SC 29401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. William Rhett House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Col. William Rhett House (about 400 feet away); St. Peter's Catholic Church (about 500 feet away); Trinity Methodist Church Original Site / William Hammett (about 500 feet away); William C. McElheran House (about 600 feet away); Dr. Joseph Johnson House (about 700 feet away); St. Stephen's Episcopal Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Moses C. Levy House (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Charleston.
Also see . . . Fire of 1838 and Rebuilding of a Borough. It is estimated that over 1,000 structures were destroyed, the southern part of modern-day Ansonborough baring the brunt of the disaster. In the decades that followed, homes were rebuilt using loans from the Bank of the State of South Carolina with the condition that they were constructed using fire retardant materials. As a result, the vast majority of homes in Ansonborough are masonry—largely brick and stucco—compared to other parts of Charleston where historic wood-frame homes are more typical. (Submitted on June 20, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 20, 2019. It was originally submitted on June 19, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 113 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 20, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.