Ripley in Brown County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Mr. Thomas Kirker
With Whom General U. S. Grant Boarded
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • War, US Civil. A significant historical year for this entry is 1838.
Location. 38° 44.883′ N, 83° 50.894′ W. Marker is in Ripley, Ohio, in Brown County. Marker is on Front Street north of Mulberry Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 206 N Front St, Ripley OH 45167, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Eliza’s Tale (a few steps from this marker); Doctor Beasley (within shouting distance of this marker); First Home of Rev. John Rankin (within shouting distance of this marker); Rear Admiral Joseph Fyffe (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Residence of General Granville Moody (about 400 feet away); Site of the Home of Senator Alexander Campbell (about 400 feet away); Charles Young in Ripley / Colonel Young's AchievementsJohn P. Parker Memorial Park (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ripley.
Also see . . . Ulysses S. Grant. “Young Ulysses led a happy life as a boy in a stable home, surrounded by an affectionate family. He worked in his father’s tannery and attended school in the little two-room brick schoolhouse in Georgetown. At age 14, he was sent to an academy in Maysville, Kentucky. The following year he attended Rev. John Rankin's Presbyterian academy at Ripley, Ohio. Jesse Grant obtained a West Point appointment for his son in 1839, and when the young Ohio boy passed the entrance examination he began his military career.” (Submitted on June 20, 2019.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 20, 2019. It was originally submitted on June 20, 2019, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 201 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 20, 2019, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.