Pierson in Volusia County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Convict Cage Wagon
Barberville Pioneer Settlement
The convict cage wagon was used to transport prisoners who were leased to corporations for road work, timber harvesting and turpentining They were often chained together, as in this photo. The leasing program was abolished in Florida in 1923, following the death of Martin Talbert, an inmate killed in a turpentine camp as a result of harsh physical punishment.
Cage used to transport convicts from camp to work on the road between DeLand and Daytona. (November 30, 1912 photo from Stetson Univ. Lib. Archives)
Erected by Barberville Pioneer Settlement.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Parks & Recreational Areas • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 29° 10.999′ N, 81° 25.437′ W. Marker is in Pierson, Florida, in Volusia County. Marker can be reached from Lightfoot Lane south of County Road 3, on the right when traveling south. Marker located within the Barberville Pioneer Settlement. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1776 Lightfoot Lane, Pierson FL 32180, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. Quarter's House (a few steps from this marker); Midway Methodist Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Settlement Firehouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Lewis Log Cabin (within shouting distance of this marker); Huntington Post Office (within shouting distance of this marker); Tomoka Turpentine Still (within shouting distance of this marker); Pierson Depot (within shouting distance of this marker); Swedish Pioneer Memorial (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pierson.
Also see . . . Barberville Pioneer Settlement. Barberville Pioneer Settlement was founded in 1976 and is a private not-for-profit 501(c)(3) organization registered with the State Florida. The centerpiece of the Barberville Pioneer Settlement is the original Barberville Central High School (c 1919), a National Register of Historic Places site. Many historical buildings and artifacts that may otherwise have been destroyed have been relocated to the “Settlement’s” grounds. The site is also the original home of Volusia County’s oldest two story brick residence, the Joseph Underhill House (c 1879). (Submitted on June 21, 2019.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 21, 2019. It was originally submitted on June 20, 2019, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. This page has been viewed 342 times since then and 71 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 20, 2019, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.