Highlands in Wilmington in New Castle County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Mount Salem United Methodist Church
Photographed by Bill Pfingsten, November 7, 2008
1. Mount Salem United Methodist Church Marker
Inscription.
Mount Salem United Methodist Church. . The origin of this congregation is traced to the early 19th century when the Brandywine Manufacturer's Sunday School was established to serve the spiritual and educational needs of the families of workers in the industrial community on the Brandywine. This non-denominational work provided a meeting place for local Methodists. In 1847 the Methodist residents of the area "from Riddle's to DuPont's Bank" constructed a house of worship at this location. The church was formally incorporated as Mount Salem Methodist Episcopal Church on November 9, 1847. A cemetery was established in 1852. In 1878 the old building was taken down and a new building constructed, only to be destroyed by fire months later. Restoration began immediately and on July 13, 1879, the present church was dedicated. Although the structure was largely new, the tower of the previous building was retained. The church was remodeled in 1893 and a Sunday School wing was added in 1917. Mount Salem United Methodist Church continues to serve the needs of the community.
The origin of this congregation is traced to the early 19th century when the Brandywine Manufacturer's Sunday School was established to serve the spiritual and educational needs of the families of workers in the industrial community on the Brandywine. This non-denominational work provided a meeting place for local Methodists. In 1847 the Methodist residents of the area "from Riddle's to DuPont's Bank" constructed a house of worship at this location. The church was formally incorporated as Mount Salem Methodist Episcopal Church on November 9, 1847. A cemetery was established in 1852. In 1878 the old building was taken down and a new building constructed, only to be destroyed by fire months later. Restoration began immediately and on July 13, 1879, the present church was dedicated. Although the structure was largely new, the tower of the previous building was retained. The church was remodeled in 1893 and a Sunday School wing was added in 1917. Mount Salem United Methodist Church continues to serve the needs of the community.
Erected 2006 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number NC-163.)
Location. 39° 45.903′ N, 75° 34.455′ W. Marker is in Wilmington, Delaware, in New Castle County. It is in Highlands. It is at the intersection of W. 19th Street and Tower Road, on the left when traveling east on W. 19th Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2629 W 19th Street, Wilmington DE 19806, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in Greater Philadelphia. It is also in the American Mid-Atlantic, on the Delmarva Peninsula, and on the Eastern Seaboard. Globally, it is in the North Atlantic Region, North America, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once New Netherland and also one of the original Thirteen Colonies.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker: Samuel Francis Du Pont (about 500 feet away, measured
Another marker is no longer nearby. Looking Back (was approx. 0.2 miles away but has been replaced with another marker now near it).
Photographed by Bill Pfingsten, November 7, 2008
3. Mount Salem United Methodist Church
Photographed by Bill Pfingsten, November 7, 2008
4. Mount Salem United Methodist Church
Photographed by Stephen J Duncan, September 20, 2010
5. Mount Salem United Methodist Church
Credits. This page was last revised on February 10, 2023. It was originally submitted on November 15, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,423 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos:1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 15, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. 5. submitted on September 23, 2010, by Stephen J Duncan of Wilmington, Delaware.