Philadelphia in Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Old Pine Street
Old Philadelphia Congregations
One of its early pastors, George Duffield, served as chaplain to the Continental Congress in 1774 and at Valley Forge in 1777-78 when the British occupied the city and Old Pine Street Church. Using the church, first as a hospital and later as a stable, the British stripped and burned the contents (including the pews) leaving only the bare walls and 100 Hessian mercenaries buried in the churchyard.
In the 1800s, the building underwent two major remodeling projects in 1837 and 1857; it was rebuilt in the then popular Greek Revival style and the brick exterior was covered with stucco. Membership grew, and by the time of its centennial in 1868, the congregation was one of the largest Presbyterian churches in the city.
By 1900, Old Pine and the neighborhood had begun to decline; by mid-century both church
The 1970s and 1980s saw further rebuilding and restoration: the Old Pine Community Center was built; the church became fully accessible and the sanctuary was restored using the stenciling techniques of 1886. Like the church itself, the painted symbols represent a journey of faith from the past to the present, and on into the future.
Many who played significant roles in our nation's history lie in Old Pine's churchyard, including Jared Ingersoll, a delegate to the Constitutional Convention in 1787, a signer of the Constitution, and Attorney General of Pennsylvania. The Memorial Garden, built in the 1980s, holds the remains of more recent members and friends of the congregation.
(side 1 photo captions)
• George Duffield (Presbyterian Historical Society)
• Old Pine Street Presbyterian Church logo
• “Old Pine” before 1847 showing the original Georgian architecture (anonymous woodcut)
• Interior of church looking toward chancel (photo Peter Zirnis)
That diversity is still evident today in the Old Philadelphia Congregations, a consortium of historic churches and synagogues of different denominations working together to broaden interfaith understanding and celebrate Philadelphia’s unique contribution to religious freedom in America.
The freedom of worship mandated in William Penh's 1701 Charter of privileges ensured that Philadelphia made significant contributions to American religious history: Philadelphia is the birthplace of the Methodist, German Reformed, Episcopal and African Methodist Episcopal churches in America. It is here that the first African-American bishop was named, the Hebrew Bible was first translated into English, and the first General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church in America was held. And in the 1730s, Philadelphia was the only place in the British Empire where a public Catholic mass could be celebrated.
In other words, Philadelphia's religious history is the nation's own.
"Because noe people can be truly happy though under the
from William Penn’s Charter of Privileges for Pennsylvanians 1701
(side 2 photo captions)
• Location of the Old Philadelphia Congregations
• East Prospect of Philadelphia by Scull and Heap (copper engraving, 1756)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Churches & Religion • Colonial Era. In addition, it is included in the African Methodist Episcopal (AME) Church series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1768.
Location. 39° 56.611′ N, 75° 8.953′ W. Marker is in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in Philadelphia County. Marker is on Pine Street east of Lawrence Court, on the right when traveling east. Marker is located on the sidewalk near the northeast corner of the Old Pine Street Presbyterian Church. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 412 Pine Street, Philadelphia PA 19106, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Marc Blitzstein (within shouting distance of this marker); Baruch S. Blumberg (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Tribal Chieftains (about 300 feet away); Philip Syng Physick (about 400 feet away); Physick House James Forten (about 400 feet away); St. Peter's (about 400 feet away); St. Peter's Church (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Philadelphia.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 10, 2019. It was originally submitted on June 30, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 165 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on July 1, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on July 10, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.