Stuart in Martin County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Golden Gate Building
Built in 1925 by R.l. Robb Construction Co. for the Golden Gate Development Company, this building is one of Martin County's most distinctive historical structures. The two-story, trapezoidal building was designed in the Mission/Mediterranean Revival style, and featured interlocking hollow clay tile. The words "GOLDEN GATE" appear in raised stucco on the facade. The elaborate roof line, with clay barrel tiles and decorative brackets, contains a parapet topped with spindles and an inset for a bell. The arched main-entrance doors are flanked by pilasters with composite order capitals. The pilasters support a second story wrought iron balconet. The building originally served as the office for the Golden Gate Development Co. In 1926, the post office for Port Sewall moved in, and when Port Sewall incorporated in 1927, the building became town hall. Following the dissolution of the Golden Gate Development Company in 1940, the building was sold to the Church of God at Port Sewall. In 1952, it became the residence of renowned artist of Seminole culture James Hutchinson and his family. In 2011, Hutchinson was inducted into the Florida Artist Hall
Ownership of the building again changed several times, and it was vacant after 1959. Under threat of demolition by neglect, the Golden Gate Neighborhood Advisory Committee requested that Martin County purchase the building in 2002. Restoration began shortly thereafter with contributions from Martin County and the Community Development Agency, and historic preservation grant funds from the Florida Department of State. The 2004-2005 stabilization included the installation of interior metal studs for wall support, new trusses, and a new roof. Replacement windows and doors, stucco repairs, and exterior painting were completed in 2007. The Friends of the Historic Golden Gate Community, Inc. was formed in 2008 to support its completion. Martin County leased the building to House of Hope Inc., who managed the interior finishing, and the addition of restrooms and an elevator. They transformed the building into the Golden Gate Enrichment Center. The Golden Gate Building was listed on the Martin County Historic Places in 2017. Constructed as a showcase for the Golden Gate development, it continues to serve as an important symbol of the neighborhood.
Erected 2018 by The Friends of the Historic Golden Gate Community, the Martin County Community Redevelopment Agency, the Golden
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Arts, Letters, Music • Industry & Commerce • Native Americans.
Location. 27° 9.928′ N, 80° 13.15′ W. Marker is in Stuart, Florida, in Martin County. Marker is at the intersection of South East Dixie Highway (State Road A1A) and Southeast Delmar Street, on the right when traveling north on South East Dixie Highway. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3225 South East Dixie Highway, Stuart FL 34997, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Sewall Home, Dock and Pineapple Fields (approx. 2.1 miles away); Sewall's Point (approx. 2.8 miles away); The Bakers of Waveland (approx. 2.9 miles away); Gilbert's Bar Prehistoric Site (approx. 4 miles away); Georges Valentine (approx. 4.1 miles away); Gilbert's Bar House of Refuge (approx. 4.1 miles away); Stuart Welcome Arch (approx. 4.2 miles away); Mount Elizabeth Mound (approx. 4.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Stuart.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 18, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 30, 2019, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 74 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 30, 2019, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.