(2.7 Miles East)
The trading village of Salem was founded in 1835 by Seth Swift. A Quaker and whaling merchant, Swift had moved to this area from Massachusetts with his wife, Lydia, and six children. When Lydia died about 1852, Swift set aside an acre of land for a cemetery. Upon his death in 1869, Swift was buried beside his wife in a pink marble casket he had brought from Massachusetts. Several other members of the community are believed to be interred in the cemetery, as well. Lost to forest overgrowth for many years, the graveyard has been restored.
Eulid Hudson did the restoration in 1985.
Erected 1988 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 11136.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Cemeteries & Burial Sites.
Location. 30° 34.634′ N, 93° 47.144′ W. Marker is in Trout Creek, Texas, in Newton County. Marker is on State Highway 87 north of County Road 4102, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Call TX 75933, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 16 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Trout Creek Cemetery (approx. 3.1 miles
Credits. This page was last revised on July 7, 2019. It was originally submitted on July 7, 2019, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 145 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 7, 2019.