Charloe in Paulding County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail
From this point, known as
the “Upper Delaware Town,”
Wayne destroyed the Indians'
abundant crops, which
skirted the Auglaize all
the way to Fort Defiance.
Erected 1930 by Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission. (Marker Number C.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers • Wars, US Indian. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission series list.
Location. Marker is missing. It was located near 41° 7.885′ N, 84° 26.047′ W. Marker was in Charloe, Ohio, in Paulding County. Marker was at the intersection of County Route 171 and County Route 138, on the right when traveling south on County Route 171. This marker was most probably situated in the Charloe Community Park, on the northwest corner of the intersection. Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Oakwood OH 45873, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within Charloe (a few steps from this marker); Imaginary Likeness Of Chief Charloe Peter (within shouting distance of this marker); Charloe Community Park (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Brown (approx. 1.7 miles away); Site of Fort Brown (approx. 1.7 miles away); The Indians (approx. 1.7 miles away); Miami-Erie and Wabash-Erie Canals (approx. 4½ miles away); Joshua A. Ramsey Memorial (approx. 5.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Charloe.
More about this marker. This historical marker is part of the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail series (type C) which was put in place in 1930 to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the Ohio's Revolutionary War era Battle of Piqua, by the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission.
In order to accomplish this, in 1929 the state of Ohio created the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission, and then in 1930 this commission created 22 military trails, throughout western Ohio, between Cincinnati, Ohio on the state's southern border and Toledo, Ohio on the state's northern border. Each of these military trails represented the routes, or trails, used by military leaders during either the Revolutionary War, the Indian Wars of 1790 to 1795, or the War of 1812. Each of these military routes connected various related historical sites, that were marked with Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission (type C) markers, along each of the military trails.
The routes of these military trails were in turn marked by type A and type B Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission markers that served as directional (type B) and distance (type A) markers.
Originally, back in 1930, there were erected 70 some of these Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission, type C, markers. To date, there are only 20 some of them that have been located and posted on the Historical Marker database. A number of them are presently missing, including this particular marker, which is listed on page 74 of the ORMC 1931 Planning Report.
Also see . . . Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail System. A description of the Revolutionary Memorial Trail System developed by the state of Ohio in 1929 - 1930. (Submitted on July 13, 2019, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 1, 2019. It was originally submitted on July 12, 2019, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 141 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on July 12, 2019, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on July 16, 2019, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 7, 8. submitted on July 12, 2019, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.