Ottoville in Putnam County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail
Built by Colonel William Jennings
in 1812, as one of the
posts along General Harrison’s
march to the confluence of
the Auglaize and the Maumee.
Erected 1930 by Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission. (Marker Number C.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts or Castles • Native Americans • War of 1812 • Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission series list.
Location. Marker is missing. It was located near 40° 55.938′ N, 84° 20.483′ W. Marker was in Ottoville, Ohio, in Putnam County. Marker was at the intersection of 3rd Street (Ohio Route 189) and Wayne Street (Ohio Route 66), on the left when traveling south on 3rd Street. I believe that this marker was situated at this location, most likely at the northern end of this "T" intersection. Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Ottoville OH 45876, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within The Miami and Erie Canal (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Fort Jennings (approx. 3 miles away); a different marker also named Fort Jennings (approx. 3 miles away); a different marker also named Miami and Erie Canal (approx. 5.2 miles away); Delphos / Miami Erie Canal (approx. 5.9 miles away); Miami and Erie Canal / Delphos (approx. 5.9 miles away); Delphos (approx. 6.1 miles away); Leslie C. Peltier (approx. 6.1 miles away).
More about this marker. This historical marker is part of the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail series (type C) which was put in place in 1930 to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the Ohio's Revolutionary War era Battle of Piqua, by the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission.
In order to accomplish this, in 1929 the state of Ohio created the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission, and then in 1930 this commission created 22 military trails, throughout western Ohio, between Cincinnati, Ohio on the state's southern border and Toledo, Ohio on the state's northern border. Each of these military trails represented the routes, or trails, used by military leaders during either the Revolutionary War, the Indian Wars of 1790 to 1795, or the War of 1812. Each of these military routes connected various related historical sites, that were marked with Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission (type C) markers, along each of the military trails.
The routes of these military trails were in turn marked by type A and type B Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission markers that served as directional (type B) and distance (type A) markers.
Originally, back in 1930, there were erected 70 some of these Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission, type C, markers. To date, there are only 20 some of them that have been located and posted on the Historical Marker database. A number of them are presently missing, including this particular marker, which is listed on page 75 of the ORMC 1931 Planning Report.
Also see . . . Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail System. A description of the Revolutionary Memorial Trail System developed by the state of Ohio in 1929 - 1930. (Submitted on July 13, 2019, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 1, 2019. It was originally submitted on July 13, 2019, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 84 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on July 13, 2019, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 16, 2019, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 6, 7. submitted on July 13, 2019, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.