Lancaster in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Philadelphia & Columbia Railroad, 1834
Travel cut to 3½ days across Pennsylvania on first chartered railroad, canals & inclined planes
— Lancaster City —
As the easternmost section of the state's Main Line of Public Works, the 80-mile Philadelphia & Columbia Railroad first brought regular passenger and freight service to Lancaster on April 16, 1834. By 1840 the City of York was connected to the rail line's western terminus at Columbia on the Susquehanna River, located about 10 miles west.
Extending 394 miles across the Commonwealth, this huge public investment in transport facilities—canals, railroads and inclines planes—was designed to spur cross-state expansion of private enterprise and provide safety and convenience in public travel.
Location. 40° 2.645′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 206 West Lemon Street, Lancaster PA 17603, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lancaster Rotary Park: 100 years of Rotary International (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); B. F. Good/P. Lorillard Tobacco Warehouse (about 700 feet away); John Durang (about 800 feet away); Simon Snyder (approx. ¼ mile away); Thaddeus Stevens (approx. ¼ mile away); Stevens Grave & Memorial (approx. ¼ mile away); Harry P. Forry (approx. ¼ mile away); Pennsylvania Medical Society (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lancaster.
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Parks & Recreational Areas • Railroads & Streetcars • Waterways & Vessels •
More. Search the internet for Philadelphia & Columbia Railroad, 1834.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 13, 2019. This page originally submitted on July 13, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 49 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 13, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.