Williamstown in Hancock County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail
Erected in 1812 by Hull’s
army on its march north-
ward from Fort McArthur,
when incessant rains and
mud made further advance
Erected 1930 by Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission. (Marker Number C.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission marker series.
Location. Marker is missing. It was located near 40° 49.173′ N, 83° 39.093′ W. Marker was in Williamstown, Ohio, in Hancock County. Marker was at the intersection of U.S. 68 and County Route 10, on the right when traveling south on U.S. 68. This marker was most probably located on the northwest corner of the intersection of U.S. 68 and County Road 10. Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Williamstown OH 45897, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. Hull’s Trail 1812 (approx. 0.9 miles away); Hull's Trail, 1812 (approx. 2.7 miles away); Dunkirk Veterans Memorial Hog-Creek Marsh (approx. 4.9 miles away); Village of Arlington / The Arlington Heritage (approx. 5.3 miles away); a different marker also named Hull's Trail, 1812 (approx. 6.1 miles away); a different marker also named Hull’s Trail (approx. 6.1 miles away); Johnny Appleseed (approx. 7.4 miles away).
More about this marker. This historical marker is part of the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail series (type C) which was put in place in 1930 to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the Ohio's Revolutionary War era Battle of Piqua, by the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission.
In order to accomplish this, in 1929 the state of Ohio created the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission, and then in 1930 this commission created 22 military trails, throughout western Ohio, between Cincinnati, Ohio on the state's southern border and Toledo, Ohio on the state's northern border. Each of these military trails represented the routes, or trails, used by military leaders during either the Revolutionary War, the Indian Wars of 1790 to 1795, or the War of 1812. Each of these military routes connected various related historical sites, that were marked with Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission (type C) markers, along each of the military trails.
The routes of these military trails were in turn marked by type A and type B Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission markers that served as directional (type B) and distance (type A) markers.
Originally, back in 1930, there were erected 70 some of these Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission, type C, markers. To date, there are only 20 some of them that have been located and posted on the Historical Marker database. A number of them are presently missing, and presumed to be permanently lost.
Also see . . . Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail System. A description of the Revolutionary Memorial Trail System developed by the state of Ohio in 1929 - 1930. (Submitted on July 17, 2019, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Roads & Vehicles • War of 1812 •
More. Search the internet for Fort Necessity.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 1, 2019. This page originally submitted on July 17, 2019, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 83 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on July 17, 2019, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.