Taylorsville in Spencer County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
Erected 1984 by Kentucky Historical Society, Kentucky Department of Highways. (Marker Number 1748.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Kentucky Historical Society series list.
Location. 38° 2.302′ N, 85° 20.432′ W. Marker is in Taylorsville, Kentucky, in Spencer County. Marker is on Taylorsville Road (Kentucky Route 55) 0.2 miles south of Little Mount Road (Kentucky Route 44), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Taylorsville Road, Taylorsville KY 40071, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow fliesCourthouse Burned (approx. 0.6 miles away); Spencer House (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Spy Who Saved the Union (approx. ¾ mile away); County Named, 1824 (approx. 0.8 miles away); "Vaucluse" (approx. 1½ miles away); James Morrison Heady (approx. 4.3 miles away); Guerrilla Quantrill (approx. 4.9 miles away); Ham Brown Log Cabin (approx. 8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Taylorsville.
Regarding Taylorsville. Taylorsville was created when landowner and gristmill owner Richard Taylor first let it be known in 1799 that he wanted a town to be built on his property. The property, now Taylorsville, is nestled between Salt River and Brashears Creek, a land area that is surrounded on three sides by water.
Trustees were named and they platted the town which was originally a 60-acre plot of ground. However, the first four lots weren't sold until May 21, 1810. George Bourne bought all four lots for $1. Taylorsville's first trustees were George Cravinston, William Bridgewater, Robert Jeffries, Elijah Prewitt and Isaac Ellis.
Taylorsville was named the seat of government for Spencer County on December 30, 1824, by the Kentucky General Assembly. The town was incorporated in 1829.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 17, 2019. It was originally submitted on July 17, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 117 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 17, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.