Newton in Newton County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
(Newton County Fairgrounds)
In 1937, the Southwestern Settlement and Development Company deeded land to Newton County. This property would become known as Woods Park, named for the company's surveyor, C.A. Woods. County resident sused the park for recreation and soon the Works Progress Administration (WPA), a New Deal program administered by the federal government, improved the park through a building project. Between 1939 and 1969, Newton High School used the park intermittently as an athletic field. Since 1980, the park has hosted the Newton County Fair and is now known as the Newton County Fair Grounds.
Erected 2008 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15640.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Parks & Recreational Areas. In addition, it is included in the Works Progress Administration (WPA) projects series list.
Location. 30° 51.378′ N, 93° 44.942′ W. Marker is in Newton, Texas, in Newton County. Marker is on Court Street (State Highway 505) near Griffin Street, on the rightTouch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Newton TX 75966, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Autrey-Williams House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Newton Cemetery (approx. 0.6 miles away); W. H. Ford Male & Female College (approx. 0.9 miles away); Town of Newton (approx. 0.9 miles away); William Blewett (approx. 0.9 miles away); Newton County Pre-War Maneuvers (approx. 0.9 miles away); Newton County Courthouse (approx. 0.9 miles away); Historic Roadside Park (approx. 3.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newton.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 25, 2019. It was originally submitted on July 25, 2019, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 228 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 25, 2019.