Newton in Newton County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Historic Texas Cemetery
This cemetery has served the town of Newton since it was officially set aside in 1903. The first burial, however, dates to 1864, when the landowner, G.W. Robinson, buried his young son. After Robinson passed away, a Newton resident bought the land and later donated it for use as a burial ground. Many Newton citizens are interred here, including veterans of the Civil War, the First and Second World Wars, the Korean War and the Vietnam War. Since 1943, an association of concerned citizens has cared for the graveyard, helping to preserve the history of the community. Historic Texas Cemetery
Erected 2005 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13531.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Cemeteries & Burial Sites.
Location. 30° 51.173′ N, 93° 45.511′ W. Marker is in Newton, Texas, in Newton County. Marker is on Hardy Street near Gibb Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Newton TX 75966, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Autrey-Williams House (approx. 0.3 miles away); William BlewettTown of Newton (approx. 0.3 miles away); W. H. Ford Male & Female College (approx. 0.4 miles away); Newton County Courthouse (approx. 0.4 miles away); Newton County Pre-War Maneuvers (approx. 0.4 miles away); Woods Park (approx. 0.6 miles away); Historic Roadside Park (approx. 3½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newton.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 25, 2019. It was originally submitted on July 25, 2019, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 316 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 25, 2019.