Bath Township near Akron in Summit County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Bath Township Hall / Bath Center Cemetery
Bath Township Hall. A log meeting house, which also served both the Presbyterians and Congregationalists, was constructed here circa 1818. In 1839, a frame structure replaced the log house and served the community and the congregations until 1870, when the property was sold to Bath Township to construct a township hall. The trustees replaced the township hall with a new building in 1905. It was the seat of township government until 1980 and, among other uses, served as a meeting place for the Grange and other community groups. Although adapted to address new needs throughout the 20th century, the hall was extensively renovated in 2000. In 2005, the Bath Township Historical Society converted the building into the Bath Township Museum. An example of early 20th century Georgian Revival architecture, the township hall was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1979.
Bath Center Cemetery. Settlers from New England purchased this land in 1817 for use as burying ground and to build a meeting house. Located in the center of Bath Township, a part of the Connecticut Western Reserve, the site provided a convenient
Erected 2019 by the William G. Pomeroy Foundation, Bath Township, the Bath Township Historical Society and The Ohio History Connection. (Marker Number 49-77.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1818.
Location. 41° 10.144′ N, 81° 38.195′ W. Marker is near Akron, Ohio, in Summit County. It is in Bath Township. Marker is at the intersection of West Bath Road (County Route 48) and North Cleveland-Massillon Road, on the left when traveling east on West Bath Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1241 N Cleveland Massillon Rd, Akron OH 44333, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow Ghent Woolen Mill (approx. ¾ mile away); Shaw Cemetery (approx. 1.8 miles away); Ira Cemetery Information Board (approx. 2.7 miles away); Welcome to Cuyahoga Valley National Park (approx. 3 miles away); From Salvage Yard to Beaver Marsh (approx. 3 miles away); Lock 25 (approx. 3 miles away); Lock 24 (approx. 3.1 miles away); Lock 26 (approx. 3.1 miles away).
Also see . . . Bath unveils historical marker. 2019 article by Maria Lindsay in the West Side Leader via Akron.com. Excerpt:
Township officials said the marker ... was purchased with a $3,040 grant from the William G. Pomeroy Foundation, with Bath contributing $310. Ohio Historical Markers, a program administered by the Ohio History Connection, identify, commemorate and honor important people, places and events that have contributed to the state’s history, officials said. The marker contains historical information about Town Hall and the cemetery.(Submitted on July 27, 2019.)
Credits. This page was last revised on February 6, 2023. It was originally submitted on July 27, 2019, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 123 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 27, 2019, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.