Cumberland Township in Adams County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Army of the Potomac
Major General Henry W. Slocum
Brigadier General Alpheus S. Williams
First Division Brigadier General Alpheus Williams,
Brigadier General Thomas H. Ruger
Second Division Brigadier General John W. Geary
Artillery Brigade Lieutenant Edward D. Muhlenberg
Provost Guard Tenth Maine (Four Companies)
July 1 Marched from near Littlestown to Two Taverns. In the afternoon hearing the 1st and 11th Corps were engaged at Gettysburg the Corps advanced on the Baltimore Pike. Williams's Division to a position east of Rock Creek. Geary's Division to the left of Union Line extending to the summit of Little Round Top.
July 2 In the morning the Corps took position on the right of 1st Corps on a line extending from the top of Culp's Hill southeasterly across the low meadow into McAllister's Woods. Later in the day the Corps except Greene's Brigade was withdrawn to support the left of the Army. Johnson's Confederate Division at night advanced under cover of darkness and took possession of the works on the Corps line on right of Greene's Brigade. About midnight the Corps returned
July 3 Before 1 a.m. the Artillery of the Corps and Rigby's Maryland Battery from Reserve Artillery in all 26 guns were so placed as to command the line occupied by Johnson's Division and at daylight opened fire under cover of which the infantry was advanced and attacked the Confederate position and after a contest lasting seven hours recaptured the works. Many prisoners and over 5,000 small arms were captured. In the afternoon the Corps was in readiness to move.
July 4 Gen. Slocum in the morning advanced with a detachment of Ruger's Division and a battery and found that the Confederates in front had retired.
Casualties Killed 18 Officers 186 Men. Wounded 43 Officers 769 Men. Captured or Missing 2 Officers 64 Men. Total 1082.
Erected 1906 by Gettysburg National Military Park Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. A significant historical date for this entry is July 1, 1863.
Location. 39° 48.983′ N, 77° 13.134′ W. Marker is in Cumberland Township, Pennsylvania, in Adams County. Marker is at the intersection of Slocum Avenue and Geary Avenue, on the left when traveling south on Slocum Avenue. Located between the upper and lower crests of Culp's Hill, Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Gettysburg PA 17325, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Second Brigade (a few steps from this marker); 29th Pennsylvania Infantry (within shouting distance of this marker); 111th Pennsylvania Infantry (within shouting distance of this marker); 1st Maryland Battalion (within shouting distance of this marker); 123rd New York Infantry (within shouting distance of this marker); 2nd Maryland Infantry (within shouting distance of this marker); 109th Pennsylvania Infantry (within shouting distance of this marker); First Division (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cumberland Township.
Also see . . . Reports of Maj. Gen. Henry W. Slocum. From the Official Records. Slocum's reports include an exchange between himself and General Meade, commanding the Army of the Potomac, with regard to the particulars of the reports. These provide a glimpse of the politics of high command in the Army at this time of the war. (Submitted on November 21, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 3, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 21, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 860 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 21, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.