Ford Chapel, Cemetery, and School
The family of John H. and Margaret Ford came to Texas prior to 1880. Establishing farms and homes, the family helped settle this area of Newton County.
A community cemetery was begun on the land of J. D. and Ida J. Ford. Although the cemetery contains some unmarked graves, the earliest documented burial is that of Promontory Inez Ford (1877-1880), daughter of J. D. and Ida Ford. Originally kept as a scraped earth cemetery, the graveyard was later planted with grass.
Northwest of the cemetery is the site of the Ford Community School. Organized in 1893, the school was housed in a one-room log building. It became a part of the Newton Independent School District in 1929-30, and area students traveled to Newton for classes.
A wooden frame structure was erected northeast of the cemetery in 1910 to serve as a place of worship for the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. Although regular worship services were discontinued in the 1930s, the chapel remained on its original site.
The Ford Chapel and Cemetery Association, organized in 1961, maintains the cemetery as well as the Chapel and School Site.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion • Education.
Location. 30° 46.753′ N, 93° 41.304′ W. Marker is in Newton, Texas, in Newton County. Marker is on Ford Chapel Road (County Road 2004) 0.6 miles north of U.S. 190, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 700 Ford Chapel Road, Newton TX 75966, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Newton County, C.S.A. (approx. 3 miles away); a different marker also named Newton County (approx. 3 miles away); Historic Roadside Park (approx. 3 miles away); Bon Wier (approx. 3.6 miles away); Inman Cemetery (approx. 5.7 miles away); W. H. Ford Male & Female College (approx. 6.4 miles away); Newton County Pre-War Maneuvers (approx. 6.4 miles away); Autrey-Williams House (approx. 6.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newton.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 28, 2019. It was originally submitted on July 28, 2019, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 257 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 28, 2019.