Hummelstown in Dauphin County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Then And Now
East Main Street
13-15 East Main Street
Originally this was the home of Joseph Hummel and Elizabeth Leebrich, both from Hummelstown, Joseph being the grandson of founder Frederick Hummel. They moved into the house in 1817, just after their marriage and operated a store in the eastern half until Joseph's death in 1852. It is known also as the "Mansion House." Carrie and Annie Hummel, daughters, ran the post office in this house from 1877 to 1885. Elizabeth passed away in 1890, and the Hummel heirs sold the property in 1927. In 1895 a drugstore was noted to be in the western portion of the first floor, and by 1945 it had been converted to two residences. This two-and-one-half-story limestone house is typically Georgian in its central hall plan, chimney gable ends, and five-bay facade. The shop window and door were modifications, probably when the entire building underwent a remodeling in 1890. At this time, a large front dormer, now removed, and ornate Victorian trim were added, as well as a modernization, providing running water and heat. A two-story stone carriage house/stable exists at the
2 East Main Street (On the Square)
This is noted to be the birthplace of Elizabeth Leebrich, wife of Joseph Hummel. Used as an inn, cabinet shop, furniture store, Karmany's Store, it has been the home of Bowser's Furniture and a funeral home since 1934.
This two-and-one-half-story Georgian stone building has undergone numerous changes. The present "Formstone" exterior covers earlier modification, including a store-front window and door. The eastern portion of the structure appears to be frame. Numerous additions in the rear of the property include an early stone, two-story addition on the west facade. Though covered, this building retains its stately Georgian form and roof shape.
9 East Main Street
The original one-story store was located next to the expanded building. This three-story structure, visible on the right, was built by Fred Blessing in the late 1890s as his store and his house. Blessing's house and store later underwent modifications to create a single edifice for Hauer's Department Store. Hauer's closed in 1972 after a long presence in Hummelstown.
Erected by The Hummelstown Lions Club.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Industry & Commerce • Science & Medicine • Women. A significant historical year for this entry is 1817.
Location. 40° 15.915′ N, 76° 42.463′ W. Marker is in Hummelstown, Pennsylvania, in Dauphin County. Marker is on East Main Street east of South Hanover Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1 East Main Street, Hummelstown PA 17036, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hummelstown (here, next to this marker); The Developing Years (here, next to this marker); On The Square (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Hummelstown (here, next to this marker); The Fountain (a few steps from this marker); The Arch (within shouting distance of this marker); Hotels of Hummelstown (within shouting distance of this marker); The Hummelstown Brownstone Company (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hummelstown.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 2, 2019. It was originally submitted on August 2, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 253 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 2, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.