Hummelstown in Dauphin County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Then And Now
West Main Street
13 West Main Street
In this late 1800s photo, the Schaffer family is shown on the porch, gathered for the wedding of their daughter, Ethel. The 1830 date stone on the building and the Flemish bond brickwork convey its earlier origins. The original address, 10 West Market Street, is still visible on the transom above the door.
The rather elaborate modifications to this building are attributed to its 1883-1899 owners, Alice and W.H. Siple. Mr. Siple owned a lumber yard and mill in Hummelstown, and the Victorian features are thought to have been done to provide a "show house" for Siple's millwork business. The carved trim and elaborate fretwork of the front entry, porch, and fence were removed sometime prior to 1944 when Leroy Dunkleberger is known to have operated a restaurant there. The porch was enclosed with graceful Gothic-revival arched framing and turned into a gift shop in 1946. Mary and Elmer Nisley operated a soda fountain, dining room, and tea room from 1946 until 1962. The gift shop is presently operated by Mary Nisley. The steeply corbelled cornice and Queen
7-11 West Main Street
The c. 1960 photo depicts the two structures which occupied the site of the present five-story apartment and commercial building, constructed in 1974. The building on the right was a two-story log building and was occupied by the Erwin Lerew Taxi Service, followed by the Herm Horst Real Estate and Insurance Business, and then the Eshleman Paint Shop. the smaller, one-story commercial structure on the left had a large, store window front and was occupied by the Joseph Huss Grocery Store and later the Atticks Flower Shop. These buildings are both evident on the 1875 atlas.
If you look at the "On The Square" Plaque, you can see these two structures where the Square steps back to meet West Main Street.
1 West Main Street
This 1914 photo of the southwest corner of the Square depicts a reunion of Civil War veterans, accompanied by the Hummelstown Coronet Band. The building housed the local chapter of the G.A.R., and a model of the Battleship Maine can be seen in the photo, mounted on the roof of the front porch.
The building was constructed prior to 1875, and over its life, has been a three-story general store, the post office, a street car stop and ticket office, and an ice cream and novelty shop owned by John and Edith Murray. Prior to 1950, the first floor facade was altered to have a corner entrance and a large, store window. Young's News Hocker purchased the building in 1962 and operated a pharmacy there until 1972. The corner entrance and storefront renovation, a common modification to commercial structures during the early 1900s, was changed again to a center doorway and flanking store windows, and a pent-roof was added.
Erected by Jeanne and David Lutz, owners, Rhoads Pharmacy and Gift Shop.
Location. 40° 15.929′ N, 76° 42.486′ W. Marker is in Hummelstown, Pennsylvania, in Dauphin County. Marker can be reached from West Main Street west of North Hanover Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2 West Main Street, Hummelstown PA 17036, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Square Project History (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Then And Now (here, next to this marker); The Arch (here, next to this marker); Hotels of Hummelstown (here, next to this marker); The Hummelstown Brownstone Company (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Then And Now (within shouting distance of this marker); On The Square (within shouting distance of this marker); Hummelstown (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hummelstown.
More. Search the internet for Then And Now.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 3, 2019. This page originally submitted on August 3, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 44 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 3, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.