Hummelstown in Dauphin County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Then And Now
The Square — North Side
2-6 West Main Street
This property is one of the oldest documented structures in Hummelstown. The western portion is a two-bay, two-and-one-half-story limestone building, and the eastern portion is a three-bay, two-and-one-half-story log structure, which both date prior to 1800. James Clunie is the first recorded owner and proprietor of a general store. Frederick Hummel, the third child of founders Rosina and Frederick Hummel, is noted to have operated a hotel on this site. The property was owned by Frederick's daughters, Hanna and Rosina, until after 1875. The Methodist Church is noted to be the owner of 1915. In the 1920s photo, the stone building is occupied by a barber shop. The site has also housed a hardware store, grocery store, shoe repair shop, and in recent times, was the information center for the famous Indian Echo Caverns. Both first-floor facades were altered from their original construction. Note the massive stone chimney on the western portion; a brick extension was added when the adjacent three-story structure was constructed.
It should be noted
12 West Main Street
This site has been a hotel since 1800. Earlier named the "Cross Keys Hotel," it was a well-known stopping place on the turnpike from Philadelphia to Harrisburg. An early innkeeper, Daniel Baum was the father of Adam Hummel Baum (b. 1822), who is known in Hummelstown by the pen name "Ingomar" and author of the Ingomar Papers. The Baum family retained ownership of the hotel until 1889 when it was sold to Joseph Early. Early is credited with adding water and heat, a rear addition, and the mansard roof, which drastically altered its exterior appearance. At that time, the name was changed to the "Grand Central," as depicted in the photo. In 1895 the hotel was sold to A.L. Taylor, who also made improvements, one of them being a "beautiful solid cherry bar...." Aaron Porter bought the property in 1898 and retired in 1903. The hotel then returned to the hands of Joseph Early. Mr. Early retired in 1907, and after numerous innkeepers, the name was again changed to the "New Warwick," under the proprietorship of W. M. Siler of Middletown. Orlando Orsini ran the business from 1945 to 1975. Mr. and Mrs. Philip Paine, the daughter of Orlando Orsini, owned and operated the hotel until 1995, when it was purchased by J. D. Mathers. The building today closely resembles its 1890s appearance.
2 East Main Street
In this photo, c. 1940, the original limestone construction of the western portion of the building can be seen. It is noted that Elizabeth Leebrich, who married Col. Joseph Hummel in 1817, was born in this building. The eastern portion is noted to be a frame structure. Both structures have been covered with the modern cementitious material known as "Form Stone" and have had numerous changes to the first-floor facades. The property has housed a cabinet shop, furniture store, and funeral home.
Erected by Herman and Bertha Bowser, their sons Robert and Richard and families.
Location. 40° 15.927′ N, 76° 42.488′ W. Marker is in Hummelstown, Pennsylvania, in Dauphin County. Marker can be reached from West Main Street west of North Hanover Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2 West Main Street, Hummelstown PA 17036, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Square Project History (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Then And Now (here, next to this marker); Hotels of Hummelstown (here, next to this marker); The Arch (here, next to this marker); The Hummelstown Brownstone Company (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Then And Now (within shouting distance of this marker); Hummelstown (within shouting distance of this marker); On The Square (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hummelstown.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings • Women •
More. Search the internet for Then And Now.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 3, 2019. This page originally submitted on August 3, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 85 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 3, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.