Sacramento in Sacramento County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
McKinley Rose Garden
McKinley Rose Garden
McKinley Park, as we know it today, was opened in 1871 as the privately owned East Park, a name given to it for its location in the undeveloped area, just east of city limits. As a ploy to increase street-car traffic to the area, the Sacramento Trolley System purchased and developed the 30 acre park. At that time, it was the only large recreation area within Sacramento. It included picnic grounds, a baseball field, shooting gallery and zoo. In 1902 the "Tuesday Club", a social organization of influential women, convinced the city to purchase East Park for the sum of $12,500. It was then renamed in honor of President William McKinley who was assassinated in 1901.
The Original Designer
Frederick N. Evans, a landscape architect, was the city's first parks superintendent. In 1929, Evans began work on improvements to the garden with a drive to "make the garden a showplace of the city park system." The rose garden replaced a running track in this location, the oval shape of the rose garden reflects the original shape of the track. Evans experimented with the varieties of roses that
In 2012 the nonprofit Friends of East Sacramento completed the restoration of the garden with private donations. They now lease the garden, manage event rentals and privately fund the maintenance. Volunteers provide rose care through the McKinley Park Volunteer Corps. The Sacramento Rose Society also provides horticultural and financial support. The McKinley Rose Garden sprawls over 1.5 acres, and is the largest of Sacramento's rose gardens with more than 1,200 roses and eight companion perennial beds. McKinley Rose Garden is a popular site for visitors, weddings and memorial services. Visit McKinleyParkCenter.org for rental information, volunteer opportunities, to make a tax-deductable donation or to Adopt-A-Garden which includes a commemorative marker to honor or remember a loved one.
Location. 38° 34.477′ N, 121° 27.686′ W. Marker is in Sacramento, California, in Sacramento County. Marker can be Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sacramento CA 95816, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. William McKinley Park (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); Solander's (approx. 0.2 miles away); New Helvetia Cemetery (approx. ¼ mile away); General John A. Sutter (approx. half a mile away); The Coloma Road (approx. half a mile away); Sutter's Fort (approx. half a mile away); Captain John A. Sutter's Landing (approx. half a mile away); California State Indian Museum (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sacramento.
Categories. • Horticulture & Forestry • Parks & Recreational Areas •
More. Search the internet for McKinley Rose Garden.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 4, 2019. This page originally submitted on August 4, 2019, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 61 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 4, 2019, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.