Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Hamtramck in Wayne County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Saint Francis Hospital

 
 
Saint Francis Hospital Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, August 5, 2019
1. Saint Francis Hospital Marker
Inscription.  When John and Horace Dodge expanded their Hamtramck automotive factory in 1914, thousands of workers migrated to this area, creating the need for a local hospital. In 1927 the city built this Georgian Revival structure and opened it as Hamtramck Municipal Hospital. Mayor Stephen Majewski invited the Sisters of Saint Francis to run the facility. In 1931 the sisters leased the hospital building from the city for one dollar a year and renamed it Saint Francis Hospital. At Saint Francis Hospital, Hamtramck's Polish residents could discuss their health concerns with the Polish-speaking medical staff. The hospital closed in 1969 and the building was converted into Hamtramck City Hall.
 
Erected 2000 by Michigan Historical Center, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L1493.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public WorkScience & Medicine. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1914.
 
Location. 42° 23.954′ N, 83° 3.152′ 
Saint Francis Hospital and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, August 5, 2019
2. Saint Francis Hospital and Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
W. Marker is in Hamtramck, Michigan, in Wayne County. Marker is at the intersection of Evaline Street and Falcon Avenue, on the left when traveling east on Evaline Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3401 Evaline Street, Hamtramck MI 48212, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Poletown and Eminent Domain (within shouting distance of this marker); Saint Florian Church / Saint Florian Historic District (approx. half a mile away); Hamtramck Stadium (approx. 0.6 miles away); Colonel John Francis Hamtramck (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Dodge Brothers / Dodge Main (approx. 0.7 miles away); Detroit Association of Women's Clubs (approx. 2.6 miles away); Omega Psi Phi (approx. 2.6 miles away); Lewis College of Business (approx. 2.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hamtramck.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 5, 2019. It was originally submitted on August 5, 2019, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 79 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 5, 2019, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.
Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 8, 2021