Near Standard in Kanawha County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
Early Life and Times along Paint Creek
— America’s Byways — Paint Creek Scenic Trail —
(photo captions, clockwise from the center)
- Willis Branch Coal Company
- The Paint Creek Coal Mining Co., Standard W.Va.
- (uncaptioned photo of two miners and small boy)
- Kidd family. Pictured here are the six sons of the late Wesley and Anna McDaniel Kidd, all from Standard in Kanawha County. The photograph was taken in 1946 when the last son returned home. From Left, they are (kneeling) Wesley Kidd Jr., Navy; Fred Alfred Kidd, Air Force; Mark Edgar Kidd, Marines; (standing) Howard Clifford Kidd, Air Force; Charles Edwin Kidd, Army; and Frank James Kidd, Army.
- George Washington
- Swinging Bridge at Greencastle
- Paint Creek “Ole Swimming Hole”
- Kingston Choir 1947–48
- Tomsburg 1905
- Kingston 1920’s
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Labor Unions • Natural Resources. A significant historical year for this entry is 1946.
Location. 38° 7.739′ N, 81° 23.251′ W. Marker is near Standard, West Virginia, in Kanawha County. Marker is at the intersection of Paint Creek Road (Local Route 83) and Exit 74 (Interstate 77) on Paint Creek Road. Paint Creek Road parallels the West Virginia Turnpike Toll Road, Interstates 64 and 77, south of this exit. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Gallagher WV 25083, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mary Ingles (here, next to this marker); Mucklow / Gallagher, WV (approx. 2.3 miles away); Holly Grove “Bull Moose Special” (approx. 4.3 miles away); Bull Moose Special (approx. 4.3 miles away); Fayette County / Kanawha County (approx. 4.8 miles away); West Virginia Institute of Technology (approx. 4.9 miles away); Montgomery (approx. 5 miles away); Christopher H. Payne (approx. 5.2 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on August 12, 2019. It was originally submitted on August 11, 2019, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 161 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 11, 2019, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.