Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Santa Paula in Ventura County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Portolá Expedition

 
 
Portolá Expedition Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Michael Kindig, August 18, 2007
1. Portolá Expedition Marker
Inscription.  
On August 13, 1769 reaching the junction of the Arroyo Mupu with the river, the place was named the Holy Martyrs, Ipólito and Casiano. Upon founding the Mission of San Buenaventura, the priests established here an asistencia and christened it Santa Paula, where they frequently held services for the conversion of the Mupu Indians.
 
Erected 1955 by El Aliso Parlor No. 314 NDGW, Poinsettia Parlor No. 318 NDGW, Cabrillo Parlor No. 114 NSGW and Ventura County Historical Society. (Marker Number 727.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionExplorationNative Americans. In addition, it is included in the California Historical Landmarks, the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West, and the Portolá Expedition series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1769.
 
Location. 34° 21.351′ N, 119° 3.052′ W. Marker is in Santa Paula, California, in Ventura County. Marker is on East Harvard Boulevard, on the right when traveling east. Marker is located northeast of
Portolá Expedition Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Michael Kindig, August 18, 2007
2. Portolá Expedition Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
the Santa Paula Boys Club Recreation Center in Harding Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1458 East Harvard Boulevard, Santa Paula CA 93060, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Birthplace of Union Oil Company of California (approx. half a mile away); Canyon School (approx. 0.6 miles away); Saint Francis Dam Disaster Memorial (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Depot, Santa Paula (approx. 0.6 miles away); Glen Tavern Inn (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Town Clock (approx. 0.7 miles away); Water Well Drilling Rig (approx. 0.7 miles away); McKevett School (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Santa Paula.
 
More about this marker. This is California Historical Landmark No. 727.
 
Portolá Expedition Marker in Harding Park image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Baker, March 14, 2020
3. Portolá Expedition Marker in Harding Park
Portolá Expedition Marker panel 2 image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Michael Kindig, August 18, 2007
4. Portolá Expedition Marker panel 2
Dedicated October 21 AD 1955
by
El Aliso Parlor No. 314 NDGW
Poinsettia Parlor No. 318 NDGW
Cabrillo Parlor No. 114 NSGW
Ventura County Historical Society
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 12, 2022. It was originally submitted on December 28, 2011, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. This page has been viewed 907 times since then and 31 times this year. Last updated on August 13, 2019, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 28, 2011, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California.   3. submitted on March 15, 2020, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California.   4. submitted on December 28, 2011, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=137825

Paid Advertisements
 
 

May. 21, 2022