Rockville in Montgomery County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Early Rockville Residential Area
Location: North Adams Street and Middle Lane
— Explore Early Rockville Walking Tour —
The 1793 portion of the house at 5 N. Adams St. is likely the oldest structure in Rockville. The original portion is the two-story, two-room block on its northwest corner. It was built by Philip Jenkins and rented out. The property was enlarged and had a stable by 1866. The Victorian addition on the south was added in 1887 by the Miller family. The house pictured, 101 N. Adams St., is built around a log dwelling that dates to the late 18th century. Two lots with a small house were sold by W. P. Williams, who created the first subdivision of “Williamsburgh,” to Thomas Perry Willson in 1799, for 40 pounds. The house faced Middle Lane until it was remodeled in the 1920s to front Adams Street. Adam Robb, the tavern keeper, also owned this property at one time.
The front portion of 106 N. Adams St. is a log-framed, clapboard-covered dwelling built around 1825 by the Rev. Joseph Jones of the recently-formed Bethel Baptist Church. It is a two-story,
Erected by City of Rockville, Historic District Commission, Department of Community Planning and Development Services. (Marker Number 10.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 39° 5.107′ N, 77° 9.287′ W. Marker is in Rockville, Maryland, in Montgomery County. Marker is at the intersection of North Adams Street and West Middle Lane, on the right when traveling north on North Adams Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 North Adams Street, Rockville MD 20850, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Williams-Wilson House (a few steps from this marker); Higgins House (a few steps from this marker); Beall-Dawson House and Park (within shouting distance of this marker); Beall Dawson House (within shouting distance of this marker); Beall-Dawson House (within shouting distance of this marker); Lucy Simpson's Rockville Institute (within Stonestreet Medical Museum (within shouting distance of this marker); Dr. Stonestreet's Office (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rockville.
Also see . . . Early Rockville Walking Tour (online map). Oddly, this is stop No. 11 on the Early Rockville Walking Tour Map, not No. 10 as indicated on the marker. (Submitted on August 17, 2019, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 19, 2022. It was originally submitted on August 17, 2019, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 84 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on August 17, 2019, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.