Rockville in Montgomery County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
North Adams Street and Middle Lane Residential Area
Lost Rockville - 1801 to 1850
The 1793 portion of the house at 5 North Adams is probably the oldest structure in Rockville. The original portion is the two-story, two-room attic and lean-to on its northwest corner. It was built by Philip Jenkins and rented out. The property was enlarged and had a stable by 1866. The Victorian addition on the south was added in 1887 by the Miller family. It is currently used as a law office.
The house pictured, 101 North Adams Street, is built around a log dwelling that dates to the late 18th century. Two lots with a small house were sold by W. P. Williams, the subdivider of "Williamsburgh," to Thomas Perry Willson in 1799 for 40 pounds. The log dwelling faced Middle Lane until remodeled in the 1920s to front upon Adams.
The front portion of 106 North Adams is a log-framed clapboard-covered dwelling built around 1825 by Rev. Joseph Jones of the recently-formed Bethel Baptist Church. It is a two-story, four-room Federal house with Greek Revival detailing. George
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Notable Buildings • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Maryland, Lost Rockville – 1801 to 1850 series list.
Location. Marker has been reported permanently removed. It was located near 39° 5.105′ N, 77° 9.278′ W. Marker was in Rockville, Maryland, in Montgomery County. Marker was at the intersection of West Middle Lane and North Adams Street, on the right when traveling west on West Middle Lane. Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Rockville MD 20850, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. Higgins House (here, next to this marker); Early Rockville Residential Area (a few steps from this marker); Beall-Dawson House and Park (within shouting distance of this marker); Beall-Dawson House (within shouting distance of this marker); Beall Dawson House (within shouting distance of this marker); Lucy Simpson's Rockville Institute (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Beall-Dawson HouseStonestreet Medical Museum (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rockville.
More about this marker. One of the "Lost Rockville – 1801 to 1850" series of markers.
Also see . . . Robb/HIggins/Ward House, 101 North Adams Street. Maryland Inventory of Historic Properties (PDF) (Submitted on July 4, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 19, 2019. It was originally submitted on January 24, 2006, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,756 times since then. Last updated on August 17, 2019, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 24, 2006, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on July 4, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.