Port Gibson in Claiborne County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
Samuel Gibson House
This brick structure is thought to have been built ca. 1805 as a residence for Samuel Gibson, the founder of Port Gibson. It was moved from its original site to this location in 1980. Typical of the dwellings built during the early settlement of Claiborne County, the four rooms of the house provided living, dining and sleeping quarters for the Gibson family. As constructed originally, a dairy in the basement and a separate outbuilding provided the necessary support facilities.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 31° 57.048′ N, 90° 59.148′ W. Marker is in Port Gibson, Mississippi, in Claiborne County. Marker is on Church Street (U.S. 61) near Horton Drive, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1601 Church Street, Port Gibson MS 39150, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Dependency (here, next to this marker); Claiborne County (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Claiborne County (a few steps from this marker); Van Dorn HouseThe Vicksburg Campaign and Siege (within shouting distance of this marker); Idlewild (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Spencer Home (approx. 0.2 miles away); Heath Home (approx. Ό mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Port Gibson.
More about this marker. building now houses the Port Gibson Chamber of Commerce/Tourist Information. Mounted on front wall.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 17, 2019. It was originally submitted on August 17, 2019, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 241 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 17, 2019.