Near Chester in Chester County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Reverend John Simpson
In Memory of
The Reverend John Simpson
Graduated Princeton College with high honors 1768 Studied Divinity two years under private minister
Licensed to preach by Presbytery of New Brunswick, New Jersey 1770 Preached there two years
Moved to Philadelphia Pastorate 1772
Traveled to Chester County, SC 1773
Ordained and installed 1774 by Orange Presbytery and preached at upper and lower Fishing Creek and Bethesda
Due to this Scotch-Irish Presbyterian minister's actions at Alexander's Old Field and Mobley's, the British Commander Christian Huck June 11th 1780 came to capture Rev. Simpson at Fishing Creek Church - finding no one there he burned the church and killed William Strong then burned Simpson's
These events of June 11, 1780 led to the Battle of Huck's Defeat
Alexander's Old Field
Erected 2004 by Lewisville Preservation Society and Fishing Creek Families.
Location. 34° 48′ N, 81° 4.043′ W. Marker is near Chester, South Carolina, in Chester County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Steele Village Road and Fishing Creek Church Road. Marker is located on the grounds of Fishing Creek Church. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Chester SC 29706, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fishing Creek Confederate Monument (here, next to this marker); Fishing Creek Revolutionary / Confederate War Memorial (here, next to this marker); Colonel Robert Patton (a few steps from this marker); Fishing Creek Church (a few steps from this marker); Wilbur G. Grant Reservoir of Chester Metropolitan District Site of White's Mill (approx. 4.1 miles away); Brattonsville (approx. 7.6 miles away); A House of Untold Stories (approx. 7.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chester.
1. Reverend John Simpson
Reverend John Simpson was the first pastor of Good Hope Presbyterian Church, 1789 to 1808 near Iva, SC. Good Hope was founded three months before Roberts Presbyterian Church and is the oldest continuous Presbyterian Church in Anderson County.
— Submitted December 1, 2009, by Dennis Ronald Metz of Iva, South Carolina.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Patriots & Patriotism • War, US Revolutionary •
More. Search the internet for Reverend John Simpson.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 23, 2008, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 2,823 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 23, 2008, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.