Near Bay City in Bay County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Frankenlust / St. Paul Evangelical Lutheran Church
One of four colonies in Michigan settled by people from Franconia, Germany, Frankenlust was founded by Pastor Ferdinand Sievers and fourteen immigrants who established Saint Paul Evangelical Lutheran Church in June 1848. On July 4, they arrived at what is now St. Paul Cemetery. The Franconians built log houses along the south side of the Squaconning Creek and cleared the land for farming. They built a log church in 1849 and replaced it with a frame one in 1857. Originally part of Kochville Township, Saginaw County, the settlement petitioned the state legislature to become Frankenlust Township, Bay County, in 1881. They named their colony by combining the name of their homeland, Franconia, with the German word lust, meaning joy. Thus Frankenlust means "Joy of the Franconians."
St. Paul Evangelical Lutheran Church
Bay City architects Pratt and Koeppe designed this Neo-Gothic church, the third house of worship for St. Paul congregation. Completed at a cost of $21,857 and dedicated on December 17, 1905, the church features a cruciform plan. The altar, pulpit and baptismal font came from
Erected 2000 by Michigan Historical Center, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L2018.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list. A significant historical month for this entry is June 1848.
Location. 43° 33.789′ N, 83° 56.56′ W. Marker is near Bay City, Michigan, in Bay County. Marker is at the intersection of Westside Saginaw Road (State Highway 84) and Ziegler Road, on the right when traveling north on Westside Saginaw Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6100 Westside Saginaw Road, Bay City MI 48706, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. O-Ge-Ma Ke-Ga-To (approx. 2.4 miles away); James Clements Memorial Airport (approx. 2.8 miles away); St. John Evangelical Lutheran Church / Amelith (approx. 2.9 miles away); Swedish Evangelical Lutheran Sion ChurchSage Public Library (approx. 3.3 miles away); St. Stanislaus Kostka Roman Catholic Church (approx. 3.3 miles away); Bay County Vietnam Veterans Memorial (approx. 3.3 miles away); Abraham Lincoln (approx. 3.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bay City.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 20, 2019. It was originally submitted on August 20, 2019, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 302 times since then and 64 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 20, 2019, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.