Acton in Hood County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Acton (formerly Comanche Peak Post Office) was named in 1855 by C.P. Hollis, first merchant in town. In spite of early name, Acton had few Comanche raids.
After erecting a building for church and school, area pioneers selected this plot as cemetery.
First person buried here was Mrs. Wash Hutcheson, in 1855.
Erected 1969 by Texas State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 79.)
Location. 32° 26.448′ N, 97° 41.099′ W. Marker is in Acton, Texas, in Hood County. Marker is on Fall Creek Highway (Farm to Market Road 167) 0.2 miles north of Cleburne Highway (Farm to Market Road 4), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Granbury TX 76049, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Grave of Elizabeth Crockett (about 400 feet away, measured Three Miles South to the Grave of Elizabeth Crockett (approx. 2.3 miles away); Hood County Jailhouse (approx. 5.9 miles away); Baker-Rylee Building and Town Square Service Station (approx. 5.9 miles away); Site of Schultz Blacksmith Shop (approx. 5.9 miles away); J. F. and J. Nutt Building (approx. 5.9 miles away); Granbury Opera House (approx. 5.9 miles away); Harris Building (approx. 5.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Acton.
Also see . . . Acton State Historic Site - The Handbook of Texas Online. Texas State Historical Association (TSHA) (Submitted on August 21, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.)
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • War, Texas Independence •
More. Search the internet for Acton Cemetery.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 9, 2019. This page originally submitted on August 21, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 74 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 21, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.