Jacksboro in Jack County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
G. D. Cross
(1855 - 1941)
Born in Arkansas. Served in Hunter's Texas Ranger Company 1873-1874, helping remove Indians from Texas.
Later became merchant and farmer. Married Mary A. E. Shawver, 1881. Had 13 children. Built this picnic table (where his ranger unit once camped) to be used at family reunions.
Erected 1969 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 2087.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Settlements & Settlers • Wars, US Indian.
Location. 33° 12.83′ N, 98° 9.578′ W. Marker is in Jacksboro, Texas, in Jack County. Marker is on Park Road north of Sewell Avenue, on the left when traveling east. Marker is located in Sewell Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Jacksboro TX 76458, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Sewell Park (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Butterfield Stage Line (about 500 feet away); Fort Richardson (about 500 feet away); Former Gulf, Texas & Western Railroad Depot (about 500 feet away); Old Hess BuildingJack County (approx. 0.3 miles away); Old Jack County Courthouse Cornerstone (approx. 0.4 miles away); First Baptist Church (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jacksboro.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 25, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 22, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Atascocita, Texas. This page has been viewed 116 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 23, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Atascocita, Texas.