Algrunix Building, 1894
This Victorian Gothic structure with its onion-domed turret was named "Algrunix" for its three owners: Edward Allen, building contractor; Samuel Grumbine, self-trained attorney; and Hattie Nixon, wife of another building contractor. Moorish type architecture was popular in Pennsylvania beginning in the 1860s. In 1997, owner J. J. Steinbuhler received a commonwealth preservation award for his building restoration.
[Illustration captions, clockwise from left, read]
• C. 1955
• [The Algrunix!, Titusville Herald, Friday, August 24, 1894]
• C. 1955
• C. 1894
Erected by Oil Region Alliance and City of Titusville.
Location. 41° 37.591′ N, 79° 40.517′ W. Marker is in Titusville, Pennsylvania, in Crawford County. Marker is at the intersection of Spring Street (Pennsylvania Route 8/27) and Washington Street, on the left when traveling east on Spring Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 202 West Spring Street, Titusville PA 16354, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Second National Bank, 1865 (within shouting distance
Also see . . . Titusville (Oil Region Alliance). (Submitted on August 24, 2019, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
More. Search the internet for Algrunix Building, 1894.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 26, 2019. This page originally submitted on August 24, 2019, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 58 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 24, 2019, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.