Seaford in Sussex County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Ladies' Auxiliary of the Seaford Volunteer Fire Department, Inc. (LASVFD)
On February 18, 1935, fifteen charter members met to establish the Ladies Auxiliary of the Seaford Volunteer Fire Department. These ladies prepared food in their homes to serve the firemen at fire scenes until 1942, when closet space in the original firehouse was turned into the first Emergency Kitchen.
With a "new" firehouse and through subsequent renovations, these ladies have worked diligently to support their fire department. Early fundraisers included card parties and supporting the firemen's carnivals with car raffles, money wheels and cake booths. Catering banquets and wedding receptions, as well as serving refreshments at various functions, have been the main source of income. Since 1935, the Ladies' Auxiliary of the Seaford Volunteer Fire Department, Inc., have been able to give the Seaford Volunteer Fire Department, Inc., over $370,000.
Throughout the years, the Ladies' Auxiliary of the Seaford Volunteer Fire Department,
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public Work • Women. A significant historical date for this entry is February 18, 1935.
Location. 38° 38.712′ N, 75° 37.789′ W. Marker is in Seaford, Delaware, in Sussex County. Marker is on West Stein Highway (Delaware Route 20) just east of McKean Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 900 North Atlanta Circle, Seaford DE 19973, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Seaford Volunteer Fire Department, Inc. (here, next to this marker); Stein Highway (within shouting distance of this marker); Seaford Veterans Memorial (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Delaware Railroad (approx. 0.9 miles away); St. John's United Methodist Church (approx. 0.9 miles away); Seaford Fire Department (approx. 0.9 miles away); Old Seaford Post Office (approx. 0.9 miles away); Seaford High School (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Seaford.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 25, 2019. It was originally submitted on August 25, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 80 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 25, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.