John C. Bryan, an Irish emigrant who established the first iron foundry and machine shop in the area, built this home in 1871. The home in 1872 was sold to John D. Archbold who succeeded Rockefeller as president of Standard Oil. Colonel John J. Carter, oil producer and community leader, purchased the home in 1884.
Banker and oil investor Louis McKinney next bought the property in 1926 and extensively remodeled the entire building. The estate remained in the family until his daughter, Charlotte McKinney Haskell, donated it to the University of Pittsburgh as an administration and classroom building. The Titusville Campus opened in 1963.
[Photo captions, clockwise from bottom left, read]
Carter was actively associated with the school district, serving as president of the board and underwriting the cost of the first kindergarten. He also donated an athletic field, with the stipulation that no public school student would pay admission to events held there.
The original Bryan Home. C. 1871
The house as remodeled by Colonel Carter. C. 1886
The Louis McKinney home, now called McKinney Hall.
A grand clock from the Carter estate graced the McKinney dining room. 1984
Erected by Oil Region Alliance and City of Titusville.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1871.
Location. 41° 37.721′ N, 79° 39.914′ W. Marker is in Titusville, Pennsylvania, in Crawford County. Marker is on Brown Street north of Main Street, on the right when traveling north. Marker and house are on the western edge of the University of Pittsburgh at Titusville campus. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Titusville PA 16354, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Townville Episcopal Chapel Bell (within shouting distance of this marker); John William Heisman (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); John A. Mather (about 500 feet away); John Mather Home (about 500 feet away); The Tarbell House (about 800 feet away); Ida M. Tarbell (approx. 0.2 miles away); George Custer Home (approx. ¼ mile away); Burgess Park (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Titusville.
Also see . . .
1. University of Pittsburgh at Titusville. (Submitted on August 26, 2019, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Titusville (Oil Region Alliance).
Credits. This page was last revised on August 26, 2019. It was originally submitted on August 26, 2019, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 417 times since then and 139 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 26, 2019, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.