The Olympia Cemetery was established c. 1904 and served the families of mill workers from Capital City, Richland, Granby, and Olympia Mills. The land was set side by W.B. Smith Whaley & Co. When a death occurred the company would provide a burial plot. In 1944, Pacific Mills, which had purchased the Whaley Mills in 1915, deeded ownership to the Olympia Cemetery Association.
(Continued on other side)
The Association drew its members from the eight Olympia community churches. The oldest portion of the cemetery is the SW section, with more recent burials proceeding to the NE. Oral tradition holds that when a child in the community died, mill workers would build a wooden coffin, line it with material from the company store, and carry it to the gravesite. It is believed that, in addition to the many gravesites marked by headstones, there are also many unmarked burials in Olympia Cemetery.
Erected 2017 by The Olympia Cemetery Association. (Marker Number 40-199.)
Location. 33° 58.291′ N, 81°
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Battle of Congaree Creek (approx. 0.8 miles away); The "Columbiad" Cannon (approx. 0.8 miles away); "The Spirit of the American Doughboy" (approx. one mile away); Beth Shalom Cemetery (approx. 1.3 miles away); Blossom Street School / Celia Dial Saxon School (approx. 1.4 miles away); Blossom Street (approx. 1½ miles away); Old State Road (approx. 1½ miles away); Guignard Park (approx. 1½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbia.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Industry & Commerce •
More. Search the internet for Olympia Cemetery.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 2, 2019. This page originally submitted on August 26, 2019, by Nancy Stone-Collum of Columbia, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 79 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 26, 2019, by Nancy Stone-Collum of Columbia, South Carolina. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.