Philipsburg, Sint Maarten, Netherlands Antilles — Caribbean Region (Lesser Antilles)
Sint Rose Hospital
Gone but not Forgotten
— Sint Rose Arcade —
The name of the hospital was taken from Sint Rose of Lima, recognized by the Vatican as the first saint of the New World to be canonized. Rose was born in Lima in 1568. Her short life of thirty-one years, passed entirely in that city, was wholly given over to voluntary penance and prayer, the former of a nature so extreme as to appear inhuman.
Until 1929, not much changed in the health care on Sint Maarten. It still had one doctor and the hospital was even closed a few times because there were no patients. From 1930 it became busier and the teacher-nuns had to close the schools earlier for summer vacation than planned in order to assist at the hospital. Due to the population growth the number of admittance became ever higher because there was a shortage of space
Opened as Sweet Repose on May 30th, 1946, by Mrs. H. Conner, the senior citizen’s home was run by Mrs Albertine Cockley, who together with a cook cared for the first four residents of the home. During the first years it was difficult to get enough aged persons. It also happened that a resident returned home because he or she was home-sick or would rather remain again in his own environment. Sweet Repose was expanded upon in April 1963 and again two years later when on April 1st, 1965 it was renamed the St. Martin’s Home. That same year the White and Yellow Cross Foundation which had been managing the Sint Rose Hospital from the time of its humble beginnings in Backstreet, became an independent entity and also took on the responsibilities of the St. Martin’s Home, under the presidency of the Sr. Edelberta de Barbanson.
Before finally closing its doors as a practicing
On December 7, 2002 the Sint Rose Hospital and the St. Martin’s Home were demolished to make way for a new Shopping Arcade and Mall. The new facility, will continue to bear the name of Sint Rose not only because of the historical link, but also due to the fact that revenues from property rentals will continue to provide the elderly of Sint Maarten with loving care and attention - albeit at another more appropriate location. Developers of the Sint Rose Arcade included a special “Remembrance Plaza” to memorize the sons and daughters of the soil who were born at the Sint Rose Hospital. It features specially cut granite stones with the birth dates and names of persons born in the former hospital.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public Work • Churches & Religion • Science & Medicine. A significant historical month for this entry is January 1863.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Philipsburg, Sint Maarten 00100, Netherlands Antilles. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Historic Sint Maarten Remembered (approx. 0.9 kilometers away); Frontstreet Merchants (approx. 0.9 kilometers away); St. Maarten Gingerbread Market Stalls (approx. 0.9 kilometers away); The Old Police Station (approx. one kilometer away); Vance Theophilus James (approx. one kilometer away); Dr Albert Claudius ("Claude") Wathey (approx. one kilometer away); John Philip Frederick Craane (approx. one kilometer away).
Also see . . . Saint Martin/Sint Maarten. (Submitted on November 25, 2008, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
Additional keywords. Dutch Caribbean, Friendly Island
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 24, 2008, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 4,632 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on November 25, 2008, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.