Chattanooga in Hamilton County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
A Point in the Line of Works
Connecting Fort Jones
With Fort Lytle
(Marker Number MT-62A.)
Location. Marker is missing. It was located near 35° 2.488′ N, 85° 18.905′ W. Marker was in Chattanooga, Tennessee, in Hamilton County. Marker was on Poplar Street near West 12th Street, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Chattanooga TN 37402, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. A point in the 2D Line of Works (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Chattanooga Brush Electric Light Company (approx. 0.2 miles away); Military History of Chattanooga (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Union Depot (approx. 0.4 miles away); Crutchfield House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Site of Crutchfield House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Old Post Office (approx. 0.4 miles away); A Point in the 2d Line of Works (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chattanooga.
More about this marker. According to the description information provided by the National Park Service, the marker is a, "Cast iron tablet on short post at 1303 Fannin Street."
According to Suzette Raney of the Local History and Genealogy Department of the Chattanooga Public Library, the street that this marker was originally situated upon, Fannin Street, was part of the West Side Urban Renewal Project that took place in the 1960s. Ms. Raney states, "Fannin became Pine Street in the 1920s but Pine, too went away as a result of the lowering of Cameron Hill. ... I don't know if [the] urban renewal folder would mention what happened to the markers on these streets that were demolished by U.S. 27."
So the marker was originally situated on the front grounds of a residence on Fannin Street, then the street name was changed to Pine Street, and then Pine Street was demolished, and present day U.S. 27 was constructed over the ground where both the featured marker, and Pine Street, where once located.
Regarding A Point in the Line of Works. With much help from Suzette Raney of the Local History and Genealogy Department
According to a newspaper article published in the Chattanooga Times on, December 1, 1893, there was a committee appointed from the chamber of commerce to identify historical points in connection with the occupancy of Chattanooga by Federal and Confederate troops. These points were to later be marked by a bronze tablet bearing a description of the event which transpired at that point. According to a Battlefield Guide, published in 1897 by the Chattanooga Chamber of Commerce, “For the 20th reunion of the Society of the Army of the Cumberland, September 18-20, 1889, the publisher of the Guide compiled the following list of historical points, which list, has since been revised and bronze tablets placed on or near the sites by the Government.” So it would appear that it was sometime between late 1893 and 1897 that these tablets were erected, by the government.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
More. Search the internet for A Point in the Line of Works.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 29, 2019. This page originally submitted on August 27, 2019, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 40 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on August 27, 2019, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.