Near Cartersville in Bartow County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
May 23rd, the 2 pontoon bridges intended for the passage of Schofield's 23d A.C. [US] were usurped by the 20th A.C. [US] (mistakenly diverted from Gillem's bridge) and the 23d A.C. did not cross until the 24th.
This and crossings lower down were on Federal routes from Kingston & Cassville toward Dallas, Paulding Co. Sherman [US] called the Etowah "The Rubicon of Georgia."
Erected 1952 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 003-8.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Bridges & Viaducts • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical month for this entry is May 1995.
Location. 34° 8.878′ N, 84° 54.474′ W. Marker is near Cartersville, Georgia, in Bartow County. Marker is at the intersection of Euharlee Road and Milam Bridge Road, on the right when traveling eastTouch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cartersville GA 30120, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Euharlee Creek Covered Bridge (approx. 1.4 miles away); Black Pioneers Cemetery (approx. 1˝ miles away); Raccoon Creek (approx. 2˝ miles away); The Story of Old Hardin Bridge (approx. 3 miles away); The Army of the Cumberland at Stilesboro (approx. 3.1 miles away); Stilesboro Academy (approx. 3.2 miles away); Etowah Valley Plantation (approx. 3.6 miles away); Old Macedonia Church Organized 1847 (approx. 4˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cartersville.
More about this marker. State records list the marker number as 008-9, Bartow being the eighth county. The marker appears to have been incorrectly manufactured.
Regarding Milam's Bridge. There is no longer any bridge crossing the Etowah River at the site of Milam's bridge.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 8, 2019. It was originally submitted on November 25, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 2,019 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 25, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.