Chattanooga in Hamilton County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Site of Headquarters, Lieutenant General Leonidas Polk
Lieutenant General Leonidas Polk, C. S. A.
(Marker Number MT-63A.)
Location. Marker is missing. It was located near 35° 2.576′ N, 85° 18.874′ W. Marker was in Chattanooga, Tennessee, in Hamilton County. Marker was on 12th Street west of Carter Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Chattanooga TN 37402, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. The Chattanooga Brush Electric Light Company (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); A point in the 2D Line of Works (approx. ¼ mile away); Military History of Chattanooga (approx. ¼ mile away); The Union Depot (approx. ¼ mile away); Crutchfield House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Site of Crutchfield House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Carver Memorial Hospital (approx. 0.3 miles away); Old Post Office (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chattanooga.
More about this marker. According to the description information provided by the National Park Service, the marker is a, "Cast iron tablet on short post, northeast corner 12th and College Streets.
According to the description information provided by Suzette Raney of the Local History and Genealogy Department of the Chattanooga Public Library, the marker was situated on College Street which was, "part of the West Side Urban Renewal Project in the 1960s and was lost when Cameron Hill was cut down. College Street was still listed as of 1965 but with no residences. In 1962 street guide, College Street is listed from 311 W. 9th to W 23rd, 2 blocks west of 900 block of Carter Street. Carter Street is still here so College would have been now where US 27 is."
Regarding Site of Headquarters, Lieutenant General Leonidas Polk. With much help from Suzette
According to a newspaper article published in the Chattanooga Times on, December 1, 1893, there was a committee appointed from the chamber of commerce to identify historical points in connection with the occupancy of Chattanooga by Federal and Confederate troops. These points were to later be marked by a bronze tablet bearing a description of the event which transpired at that point. According to a Battlefield Guide, published in 1897 by the Chattanooga Chamber of Commerce, “For the 20th reunion of the Society of the Army of the Cumberland, September 18-20, 1889, the publisher of the Guide compiled the following list of historical points, which list, has since been revised and bronze tablets placed on or near the sites by the Government.” So it would appear that it was sometime between late 1893 and 1897 that these tablets were erected, by the government.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
More. Search the internet for Site of Headquarters, Lieutenant General Leonidas Polk.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 28, 2019. This page originally submitted on August 27, 2019, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 38 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on August 27, 2019, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.