First Presbyterian Church
The early Scots-Irish established a small Presbyterian congregation in 1802, the first in Titusville. They began by worshipping outdoors or in barns. By 1815 they had built a primitive log meeting house, which was soon followed by a larger structure of hewn logs.
The third building of framework was placed on land donated by Jonathan Titus. He and Samuel Kerr founded Titusville and were original incorporators of the church.
The population continued to increase during the oil boom. A larger church featuring a "battened" style of construction was built at the corner of Franklin and Walnut Streets. By 1887 plans were completed for yet a larger building. The battened church was moved southeast on the lot and continued to serve as a chapel and social hall. In 1888 the fifth, and current, church was dedicated.
[Photo captions, clockwise from top right, read]
• The battened church, 1865-1905
• The interior of the battened church arranged for a "Daisy and Buttercup Tea," 1889.
• Construction well under way for the current church, 1887.
• The completed sanctuary, May 1888.
• Jonathan Titus (1772-1857)
Erected by Oil Region Alliance and City of Titusville.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Man-Made Features • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 41° 37.752′ N, 79° 40.407′ W. Marker is in Titusville, Pennsylvania, in Crawford County. Marker is on Franklin Street (Pennsylvania Route 89) north of Church Place, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 216 North Franklin Street, Titusville PA 16354, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Benson Memorial Library (within shouting distance of this marker); Hyde Home, 1864 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); St. James Episcopal Church, 1863 (about 300 feet away); William White Building (about 400 feet away); Scheide Home, 1864 (about 500 feet away); The Abbott Home (approx. 0.2 miles away); Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Corinthian Hall, 1865 (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Titusville.
Also see . . .
1. Titusville First Presbyterian Church (PA). (Submitted on August 27, 2019, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Oil Creek Township in 1874 Gazetteer of Townships, Crawford County PA. Mentions First Presbyterian Church (Submitted on August 27, 2019, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
3. Titusville (Oil Region Alliance). (Submitted on August 27, 2019, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 28, 2019. It was originally submitted on August 27, 2019, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 54 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on August 28, 2019, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.