Scheide Home, 1864
In 1890, Josiah Benton, superintendent of Tidewater Pipeline and co-founder of Titusville Forge Company, purchased this Italianate house. Benton made such lavish changes that the Titusville Herald wrote, "...interior is said... to be full of surprises and fine effects." But oil heir and 1896 Princeton graduate John H. Scheide added the fireproof wing in the 1920s for this library, including three Gutenberg Bibles and handwritten works by Shakespeare and George Washington. In 1959, his son gave the books to Princeton and the house to the Titusville Area School District.
[Illustration captions, clockwise from top center, read]
• [no caption, showing original Italianate style]
• C. 1890's
• John H. Scheide's fireproof library appears at the right side of the school district building.
Erected by Oil Region Alliance and City of Titusville.
Location. 41° 37.764′ N, 79° 40.507′ W. Marker is in Titusville, Pennsylvania, in Crawford County. Marker is at the intersection of Washington
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Presbyterian Church (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Benson Memorial Library (about 500 feet away); The Abbott Home (about 500 feet away); Hyde Home, 1864 (about 600 feet away); William White Building (about 600 feet away); St. James Episcopal Church, 1863 (about 600 feet away); Joseph Seep Home (about 700 feet away); Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Titusville.
Also see . . .
1. William H. Scheide preservation project open house in Titusville November 15 (2018). (Submitted on August 30, 2019, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Oil Region Alliance acquires Scheide home (2018). (Submitted on August 30, 2019, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
3. William H. Scheide Dies at 100 (Town Topics, 2014). (Submitted on August 30, 2019, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
More. Search the internet for Scheide Home, 1864.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 30, 2019. This page originally submitted on August 29, 2019, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 54 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 30, 2019, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.