Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lexington Park in St. Mary's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Cedar Point Lighthouse Cupola (1896)

 
 
Cedar Point Lighthouse Cupola (1896) Marker image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, August 30, 2019
1. Cedar Point Lighthouse Cupola (1896) Marker
Inscription.  
A Chesapeake Landmark Erected in 1896, the Cedar Point Lighthouse marked the southern point of where the Patuxent River and Chesapeake Bay come together. The lighthouse was a three-story brick and frame structure, with its cupola mounted 50 feet above the water's surface. The cupola contained a specially designed Fresnel (pronounced freh-nell) optical lens, which focused a powerful light beam that could be seen for as far as seven miles.

It stood as an important St. Mary's County landmark for both watercraft and aircraft until it was abandoned by the US Coast Guard in 1928. The US Navy purchased the lighthouse in 1958. However, no funds were available to maintain the structure and it rapidly fell into ruin. It's battered remains were eventually disposed of in 1996.

Cupola Chronology After the lighthouse was severely damaged by Hurricane David in 1979, the Friends of Cedar Point Lighthouse initiated an effort to preserve the cupola. It was removed in December 1981 and brought ashore. In June 1983 the cupola was erected at the previous site of PRNAM on NAS Patuxent River and dedicated 24 May 1985.
Cedar Point Lighthouse Cupola image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, August 30, 2019
2. Cedar Point Lighthouse Cupola
Circa 1896
When the museum moved to its present location in 2001, the cupola was placed in temporary storage. It was returned to PRNAM on 10 August 2005.

[Captions:]
The lighthouse sat on a point of land about 150 yards offshore. Several out buildings included a bell tower.

A Fresnel lens of the type used in the Cedar Point lighthouse.

The lighthouse was abandoned by the Coast Guard in 1928.

Over time, the land on which the lighthouse sat eroded away.

 
Erected by Patuxent River Naval Air Museum.
 
Location. 38° 16.564′ N, 76° 27.778′ W. Marker is in Lexington Park, Maryland, in St. Mary's County. Marker can be reached from Three Notch Road (Maryland Route 235) just north of Buse Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 22156 Three Notch Road, Lexington Park MD 20653, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Cedar Point Lighthouse (here, next to this marker); Beech T-34B Mentor (a few steps from this marker); Raytheon T-6A Texan II (a few steps from this marker); McDonnell Douglas AV-8B Harrier II (a few steps from this marker); NC-8A Mobile Electric Power Plant (MEPP) (within shouting distance of this
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
marker); North American T-2C Buckeye (within shouting distance of this marker); TA-75A Tow Tractor (within shouting distance of this marker); Bell-Boeing MV-22B Osprey Test Aircraft No. 8 ("Eight-ball") (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lexington Park.
 
Categories. Government & PoliticsMilitaryNotable BuildingsWaterways & Vessels
 

More. Search the internet for Cedar Point Lighthouse Cupola (1896).
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 31, 2019. This page originally submitted on August 31, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 36 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 31, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.
Paid Advertisement