Bowling Green in Warren County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
Fort Albert Sidney Johnston
General Albert Sidney Johnston, Commander Confederate Army of the West, move headquarters to Bowling Green October 28, 1861. He began the erection of this fort.
General Johnston evacuated Bowling Green February 14, 1862, and started for Nashville. This ended Confederate control here.
General Ormsby M. Mitchell of the Union Army occupied Bowling Green February 15, 1862.
Colonel Benjamin Harrison, later President, was one among the Union officers in command here.
Union forces held the fort to the end of the war.
Location. 36° 59.262′ N, 86° 27.111′ W. Marker is in Bowling Green, Kentucky, in Warren County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Hilltop Drive and College Heights Boulevard, on the left when traveling west. This marker is located outside Gordon Wilson Hall at Western Kentucky University. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bowling Green KY 42101, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Omega Psi Phi Fraternity Inc. History (within shouting distance of this marker); Henry Hardin Cherry W.L. "Gander" Terry Colonnade (about 500 feet away); Potter College (about 500 feet away); Training School-College High (about 500 feet away); Odgen College (about 700 feet away); Felts Log House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Eliza Calvert Hall, 1856-1935 (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bowling Green.
Categories. • Forts, Castles • War, US Civil •
More. Search the internet for Fort Albert Sidney Johnston.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 3, 2019. This page originally submitted on September 2, 2019, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 40 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on September 2, 2019, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.