Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Vienna in Lincoln Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
 

Old Wire Road

 
 
Old Wire Road Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, August 30, 2019
1. Old Wire Road Marker
Inscription.  First road across north Louisiana wilderness. Began as Indian trail. Served as Monroe - Shreveport stage coach road as well as a pioneer route to Texas. After 1847 known as Wire Road because of parallel telegraph line.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Roads & Vehicles. In addition, it is included in the The Spirit of ’76, America’s Bicentennial Celebration series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1847.
 
Location. 32° 35.488′ N, 92° 38.873′ W. Marker is in Vienna, Louisiana, in Lincoln Parish. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 167 and State Route 3072, on the right when traveling north on U.S. 167. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ruston LA 71270, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Vienna (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Pine Hills Church (approx. one mile away); First Presbyterian Church (approx. 4.3 miles away); V. S. & P. Railroad Depot (approx. 4.4 miles away); Siscro McCarty (approx. 5.3 miles away); Vernell J. Delafosse
Old Wire Road Marker looking west towards the intersection of U.S. 167 (63) and LA-3072. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, August 30, 2019
2. Old Wire Road Marker looking west towards the intersection of U.S. 167 (63) and LA-3072.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. 5.3 miles away); Henry Louis Dyer (approx. 5.3 miles away); Mr. Levis Jackson (approx. 5.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Vienna.
 
Regarding Old Wire Road. Vienna was once the Parish Seat of Jackson Parish. The failure of the railroad to run through Vienna was the death knell to the town and the Parish seat was transferred a few years later to nearby Ruston.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 2, 2019. It was originally submitted on September 2, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 401 times since then and 100 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 2, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=138772

Paid Advertisements
 
 

May. 16, 2022