Shreveport in Caddo Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
This Marks the Site of Battery 5
One of the eighteen batteries
and four forts which formed
the Confederate defenses
1864 – 1865
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts or Castles • War, US Civil.
Location. 32° 30.16′ N, 93° 44.349′ W. Marker is in Shreveport, Louisiana, in Caddo Parish. Marker is at the intersection of Marshall Street and Highland Avenue, on the right when traveling south on Marshall Street. Located near Brentwood Hospital. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1006 Highland Avenue, Shreveport LA 71101, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Highland Hospital (a few steps from this marker); This Marks the Site of Battery 4 (approx. 0.4 miles away); Lewis House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Noel Methodist Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Pleasant Hall (approx. half a mile away); Sewall House (approx. half a mile away); Central StationThis Marks the Site of Battery 3 (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Shreveport.
More about this marker. This Battery 5 marker was once stolen but was recovered and rededicated.
Regarding This Marks the Site of Battery 5. With the onset of the Civil War, Shreveport became a Confederate stronghold and headquarters of the Trans-Mississippi Department Army. Eighteen batteries across the city served as the defensive line against Union attack.
These Civil War Battery markers were dedicated in the 1930s when Shreveport marked its centennial and a final gathering of the United Confederate Veterans was held in the city.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 3, 2019. It was originally submitted on September 3, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 80 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 3, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.