Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Glens Falls in Warren County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

City Park’s Development

 
 
City Park’s Development Marker image. Click for full size.
By Steve Stoessel, September 2, 2019
1. City Park’s Development Marker
Inscription.  Today,City Park serves as a hub for recreation and relaxation for residents and visitors to Glens Falls. The park also plays host to several annual events, concerts, and weddings. Historically, the area now known as City Park was once a bustling city block, comprised of lavish homes and prestigious businesses. In 1907, respected business owner Henry Crandall envisioned a City Park at the site and initiated the project by putting sidewalks in his own backyard (pictured). Crandall owned the largest amount of land in the park and set out to create a pedestrian-friendly environment for public enjoyment. Crandall died in 1913, but his vision for City Park lived on. In 1917, the Glens Falls Common Council voted to raise funds to buy all remaining property for the park. Later that year, the Glens Falls Insurance Company bought $6.671 worth of bonds to pay for the transformation. In 1919, the row of Bay Street business buildings (pictured) was razed to make room for the park. Next came the demolition of all homes in the park, concluding in 1931 with the Jerome Lapham House on Ridge Street (the former library location). By 1931, the
City Park’s Development Marker image. Click for full size.
By Steve Stoessel, September 2, 2019
2. City Park’s Development Marker
4.3-acre city block was transformed into the City Park Henry Crandall had envisioned more than a century ago. In 2009, City Park received a $500,000 upgrade, which was organized by the Glens Falls Business Improvement District and the Crandall Public Library.
Bandstand History
The Bandstand was first erected as a permanent structure in City Park on March 7, 1928. This early Bandstand, complete with electricity, replaced a small mobile platform that was previously in its place. The original Bandstand was dedicated on Memorial Day in 1928, and the community celebrated its induction as a permanent part of City Park. Nearly 50 years later in 1976, the original Bandstand gave way to its replacement, the Bicentennial Bandstand, which was almost identical in structure. This new Bandstand was paid for by the City of Glens Falls and enjoyed modern upgrades, including a state-of-the-art audio system. In 2009, a second staircase was added to the Bandstand, which allowed activity on the bandstand to be oriented in either direction. Today, City Park's Bandstand is a Glens Falls icon, serving as the cornerstone for many community events, concerts and activities.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Parks & Recreational Areas.
 
Location. 43° 18.687′ N, 73° 38.632′ 
The Bandstand image. Click for full size.
By Larry Gertner, April 12, 2020
3. The Bandstand
W. Marker is in Glens Falls, New York, in Warren County. Marker is at the intersection of Ridge Street (New York State Route 9L) and Maple Street, on the left when traveling north on Ridge Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Glens Falls NY 12801, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Glens Falls War Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Tree of Friendship (within shouting distance of this marker); “The Spirit of Glens Falls” (within shouting distance of this marker); Weber Furlong (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); History of Crandell Public Library (about 500 feet away); Civil War Monument (about 700 feet away); The Church of the Messiah (Episcopal) (approx. 0.2 miles away); The onetime Dr. James Ferguson Office (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Glens Falls.
 
Inset image. Click for full size.
By Larry Gertner, April 12, 2020
4. Inset
"Back view of Glen Street homes and Bay Street businesses, as the transformation into a park began with benches and sidewalks."
Inset image. Click for full size.
By Larry Gertner, April 12, 2020
5. Inset
"Panorama View of land that is now City Park, Glen and Bay Streets."
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 14, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 3, 2019, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. This page has been viewed 61 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 3, 2019, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York.   3, 4, 5. submitted on April 13, 2020, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Jan. 25, 2021