Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Granite City in Madison County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Six Mile Prairie

 
 
Six Mile Prairie Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Jason Voigt, September 3, 2019
1. Six Mile Prairie Marker
Inscription.  Six Mile Prairie, located in the American Bottom six miles from St. Louis, was first settled in the 1830's by American farm families who migrated from the Upland south. With their crude farm implements, these pioneers broke through the tough prairie sod to grow crops in this rich bottomland, once called the "Garden Spot of the State." The increase in farm trade and stage coach traffic required improved access between Six Mile Prairie and St. Louis. In 1849 a plank road was constructed of 12 foot oak logs split and laid face up on stringers. This later became an extension of the National Road.
 
Erected 1989 by Old Six Mile Historical Society and the Illinois State Historical Society.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: AgricultureRoads & VehiclesSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Illinois State Historical Society series list.
 
Location. 38° 43.324′ N, 90° 6.239′ W. Marker is in Granite City, Illinois, in Madison County. Marker
Six Mile Prairie Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Jason Voigt, September 3, 2019
2. Six Mile Prairie Marker
In the background is the back of the Emmert-Zippel House (The Old Six Mile Museum)
Click or scan to see
this page online
can be reached from Maryville Road. The marker is located on the grounds of the Six Mile Prairie Museum, also known as the Emmert-Zippel House. Built in 1837, it is the oldest structure in Granite City. The marker is facing south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3279 Maryville Road, Granite City IL 62040, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. V.F.W. Post 1300 Veterans Memorial (approx. 1.7 miles away); Veterans Memorial (approx. 2.7 miles away); In Honor of Our Heroes (approx. 2.8 miles away); Victory Mothers (approx. 2.8 miles away); Old Chain of Rocks Bridge (approx. 4.1 miles away); Woodhenge (approx. 4.6 miles away); Monks Mound - 4th Terrace (approx. 4.8 miles away); Monks Mound - Southwest Corner (approx. 4.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Granite City.
 
More about this marker. According to the Illinois State Historical Society's website, the marker was dedicated on August 20, 1989.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 5, 2019. It was originally submitted on September 3, 2019, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois. This page has been viewed 165 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 3, 2019, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=138844

Paid Advertisements
 
 

May. 17, 2022