Orlando in Orange County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Lake Eola Park
Lake Eola Park is the most historic and widely recognized symbol of the City of Orlando. It was established in 1883 as the City’s first public park after Orlando homesteaders Jacob and Fanny Summerlin donated the Lake and some of the surrounding land to the City. Though formally titled Summerlin Park under terms of the original gift, the Park is most commonly known by its informal name, Lake Eola Park.
Eola’s open space was enlarged in 1907 with a gift of land from S. Waters and Georgia L. Howe. In 1914, the Park’s present boundaries were established with property donations from J.P. and Theresa Musselwhite, St. Luke’s Cathedral, E.F. and Mary W. Sperry, C.F. and Jenny E. Grannis, and May W. and Frederick A. Strong. A final parcel was donated in 1956 by Orlando Lodge No. 1079 Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks.
The landmark fountain, situated in the middle of Lake Eola, was built by the Orlando Utilities Commission in 1957 at the urging of the Orlando Chamber of Commerce. Dedicated as Centennial Fountain, in commemoration of the 100th anniversary of the City’s first settlement, it was renamed the Linton E. Allen
Other important reminders of Orlando’s history are located within the Park, including a monument in memory of Orlando Reeves, the City’s namesake, located near the site where he died in 1835.
One hundred and five years after the Summerlins’ gift, Lake Eola park was redesigned and redeveloped. With its historic elements restored, the Park was rededicated to the people of Orlando by Mayor Bill Frederick on June 30, 1988.
Glenda E. Hood • Pat Schwartz
Mary L. Johnson • Nap Ford
Jeff B. Clark • Mable Butler
Erected by City of Orlando.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Parks & Recreational Areas • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 28° 32.621′ N, 81° 22.523′ W. Marker is in Orlando, Florida, in Orange County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of North Rosalind Avenue and East Washington Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 N Rosalind Ave, Orlando FL 32801, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Linton E. Allen Memorial Fountain (within shouting distance of this marker); Rosalind Club (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Cathedral Church of Saint Luke (about 800 feet away); a different marker also named Linton E. Allen Memorial Fountain (approx. 0.2 miles away); Orange County 9-11 Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Orange County Courthouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mathew Robinson Marks (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lynching of July Perry / Racial Violence in America (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Orlando.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 5, 2019. It was originally submitted on September 4, 2019, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. This page has been viewed 123 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 4, 2019, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.