Woodstock in Carleton County, New Brunswick — The Atlantic Provinces (North America)
Carlisle Hotel / Hôtel Carlisle
Main Street / Rue Main
Originally built as the Gibson House in 1873 by Alex Gibson and his son, John, it stood on Connell St. Following the 1881 fire that wiped out most of the buildings on Main St., the Gibsons built a new hotel at the corner of Main and Emerald Sts. which was known as the New Gibson House. The architect and master builder for this four storey wooden structure was Mr. J.F. Turner. James Wilbur bought the New Gibson House c. 1887 and renamed it Wilbur House. In October of 1896 Mr. C.J. Tabor purchased the building and renamed it once again, this time as the Carlisle Hotel. Following Tabor's death in 1909 it was taken over by Mr. J.F. Gallagher and sons. An annex was added in 1926 with sample rooms for travelling salesmen to show their wares.
The Carlisle Hotel flourished as the pride of Woodstock until it was torn down in 1964 to make way for the Bank of Montreal.
Construite initialement pour être (connu sous le nom de) la Maison Gibson en 1873, par Alex Gibson et son fils John, il était situé sur la rue Connell. À la suite
L'Hôtel Carlisle a prospéré et il était la fierté de Woodstock jusqu'à sa démolition en 1964 pour être remplacé par la Banque de Montréal.
Erected by Woodstock - New Brunswick's First Town / La première ville du Nouveau-Brunswick.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1873.
Location. 46° 9.019′ N, 67° 34.391′ W. Marker is in Woodstock, New Brunswick, in Carleton County. Marker is on Main Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 650 Main Street, Woodstock NB E7M 2G9, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Atherton's Harness Store/Magasin de harnais de F.L. Atherton (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); L. P. Fisher Library/Bibliothèque L. P. Fisher (about 120 meters away); George Connell House / Maison George Connell (about 120 meters away); Newnham & Slipp Pharmacy / Pharmacie Newnham & Slipp (about 120 meters away); 3rd Field Artillery Regiment, RCA (about 120 meters away); Woodstock World War II Memorial (about 120 meters away); Hon. Charles Connell House/La maison Charles Connell (about 150 meters away); Connell House/Maison Connell (about 150 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Woodstock.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 7, 2019. It was originally submitted on September 4, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 325 times since then and 115 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 6, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.