Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Mineola in Wood County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Mineola Fire Department

 
 
Mineola Fire Department Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, September 1, 2019
1. Mineola Fire Department Marker
Inscription.  In the 1870s, the Texas & Pacific and International & Great Northern railroads built lines through this area, with the town of Mineola serving as the eventual juncture of the two. Fire was one of many challenges faced by early local inhabitants of the new town; on a single night in the 1880s, a reported eighteen downtown buildings burned, including houses, businesses and a Masonic temple. Residents built new brick structures, but the threat of fire remained.

In 1906, officials installed a fire gong at the city well to use as an alarm, and the city council began discussing the formation of a hook and ladder company. The next year, several men organized the Mineola Fire Company, a volunteer group with no connection to the city government, which received its first firefighting equipment in 1908. The volunteer company continued to grow over the next several years, adding chemical and hose trucks, and developing membership requirements.

The city adopted the fire company as an official department in 1924 and purchased an American La France fire engine. Between that year and 1928, the city experienced several disastrous fires, including

Mineola Fire Department & Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, September 1, 2019
2. Mineola Fire Department & Marker
one in 1926 that required assistance from Tyler and Winnsboro firefighters. R.D. Adrian received the contract to build a fire station, completed in 1932. It provided fire equipment storage space, a meeting room and a jail.

By the mid-1940s, the city paid insurance on all firemen, who remained volunteers. In 1954, the city hired its first paid firefighters. Ten years later, the department began holding annual rodeos for the community. Over the past several decades, the city has expanded the department and sent its workers to training in firefighting and other emergency and rescue procedures.
 
Erected 2005 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13747.)
 
Location. 32° 40.585′ N, 95° 29.118′ W. Marker is in Mineola, Texas, in Wood County. Marker is on North Johnson Street 0.1 miles north of Greenville Avenue (U.S. 69), on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1231 North Johnson Street, Mineola TX 75773, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Utilities in Mineola (approx. 0.7 miles away); Callaway House (approx. 0.7 miles away); Harry W. Meredith (approx. mile away); Mineola Public Library (approx. mile away); Sarah Rosalie Patten Buchanan

Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
(approx. 0.8 miles away); First National Bank of Mineola (approx. 0.8 miles away); First Baptist Church of Mineola (approx. 0.8 miles away); Birthplace of Miss Ima Hogg (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mineola.
 
Also see . . .  Mineola Fire Department history on their website. (Submitted on September 6, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
 
Categories. Notable BuildingsNotable EventsSettlements & Settlers
 

More. Search the internet for Mineola Fire Department.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 6, 2019. This page originally submitted on September 6, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 36 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 6, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Paid Advertisement